Let's discuss electronics used for freshwater fishing

bassaholic

Cadet
Hello all,

I hope this is the appropriate place to post this. I don't saltwater fish and mainly chase largemouth. I'm currently using a 1977 rust bucket of a flasher that doesn't work unless you beat on it (lately that hasn't been doing the trick) and a "new" (pawn shop) Humminbird sx100 finder mounted on the trolling motor to replace a rusted out paper graph.

I like the sx100 and see them on about every other older pontoon and crappie rig, so I guess it was popular for it's time. But, I figure once I get a few dollars set aside, the first thing I would like is some new electronic toys. I'm a geek, so the temptation to go overboard is hard to resist. I've wasted probably 30 hours of my life looking at various boat electronics on the web, but you know, I just don't trust reviews that come from websites with something to sell and find most of them rather vague about the day-to-day usage of the systems.

The system that really caught my eye is the Humminbird Matrix series. It seems like the Humminbird Matrix 47 Fishfinder and Smartcast wireless sonar, along with a compatible GPS seems ideal for the money-- plus I can buy it one part at a time. Has anyone had any experience with such a setup? If so, how well do these things work?

Something about that Smartcast is very hard to resist since I feel like I'm wasting battery and spooking fish trying to survey coves and points. My concerns are whether such a rig will display cover clearly and how the wireless sonar will render when broadcast back to the unit. For instance, I can't seem to find any information as to whether it gets rendered into a 3d map like the 47's primary sonar, or if it just gives a 2d window similar to the sx100's.

I'm not sold on anything yet, so if there's a similar rig you feel is good for finding cover and chasing largemouth or striper, I'm interested in your recommendations or experiences.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Let's discuss electronics used for freshwater fishing

Without a doubt, the latest and greatest is Humminbird's Side Imaging technology. But they ain't cheap. Look at the 797, 997 and if your really loaded with money the 1197.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes. Let's do it in the ELECTRONICS Forum

John_S

Rear Admiral

I believe Smartcast is 2D only, even if displayed on 47. Also, the 3D of the Matrix 47 is probably not that important for relatively shallow LM fishing. A color 2D unit might be better for you. I like the SI of 797, but pricey.

bugman1964

Seaman Apprentice

I do not have a great deal of knowledge with fishing electronics however I can tell you over the winter I purchased a marcum lx-3 flasher for the hardwater and it worked excellent. That being said I was able to locate a high speed transducer and transom mounting kit for $75. So I placed it my boat and have been very pleased with the performance on the softwater. Total cost is about $400 and I can effectively use the flasher on both hard and soft water.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I find that most fish/depth finders are useless in shallow water because of the usual 20 degree beam area.This year I bought a humminbird 575 quadra beam which gives a 90 degree beam response area.So far I had no chance to use it,but I will keep you updated.

bassaholic

Cadet

Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to save up and take the plunge on the small-screen Humminbird with side scan. After looking at a few demos, it looks worth the $800, or so, from an online retailer, and useful for shallow waters.