Transducer Installation ??

oregonmike

Cadet
This may be a dumb question: I was researching transducer installation on some of the previous threads and came across this idea by mattttt25:

"cut a small piece of starboard, 1/2" thick, and mount the transducer to that. then use 4200 or 5200 to mount the whole thing to your hull. no holes in your hull."

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=218016&highlight=transducer

I like this idea, just don't know what starboard is (foam? board? etc...) or where to look for it. The 4200/5200 I understand and know where to find.

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Transducer Installation ??

See answer given for same question in the boating forum.

oregonmike

Cadet

See answer given for same question in the boating forum.

Boatist,

It's difficult to search for "starboard" material in these forums, due to it's also the meaning of a side of a boat. Please define "in the boating forum", I'm a little lost since all these forums/threads are part of the boating forum. Do you have a link to one of these previous threads in which talk about this material? Don't mean to sound egotistical, just very vague response.

:cool:

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

A piece of the white hard plastic cutting board like you use in the kitchen works too...;)

njlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

your local lumber yard may stock "Klear Wood" or "Azek" (SP?) which I've used four years ago with success.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Mike, I simply attached my transducer to the bulkhead in the bilge, such that the transducer was flat against the fiberglass bottom of the hull. As long as the transducer is wet, it worked fine. If it dried out, I tossed a cup of water on it to make it work. I did not use any sealer or glue.

You must mount the transducer on a solid piece of hull. There cannot be any foam or void in the hull, or the transducer won't work well, or at all. I do not see the advantage of using the Starboard material. if you choose the wrong place on the hull, the starboard will not make it work! if you do use the starboard, you have the added issue of making solid contact between the starboard and the hull.

BillP

Captain

Starboard doesn't bond well to 4200 or 5200. Why not do like everyone else does? Set the tranducer on the inside hull bottom with epoxy, silicone or in a box filled with water and capped off so the water stays inside the box. Not all brands of fishfinders say it's ok to glue the tranducers down so you have to read their specs on which method is "approved".

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

You can buy them already made up at Bass Pro for $12. If you want to install the plate without screws you'll need to cut a couple of dovetails in the plate and fill them with 5200. when gluing the plate to the haul. 5200 alone is not a viable solution.

I have a thru hull transducer that includes temp but I still needed the plate to mount my speed sensors.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...er=9153&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I will just re post but I was talking about the boating forum you posted the same question in.

Go to "www.cabelas.com" the then search for "transducer mounting plates".

It will come up with a picture of a transducer mounting plate and if you click on that it will show two different size plates that come in 3 colors.

They also have them here at Iboats but the search does not find them so you have to search manually.

dago52

Cadet

Shoot me a IM and I will send you a piece. I bought some last year to build a speaker box and have some left over.

newlyboating

Recruit

Does anyone have pictures of how to install transducer? and what's the different between Thru-hull transducer and the other kind ????

very new in boating, got stuck last weekend and like to buy a dept finder/fish finder/gps. HELP?