broken transducer

ztim

Chief Petty Officer
By boat landed on my transducer. It broke near the mounting bolt and I tried using Gorilla Glue but it did not hold. Maybe I didn't clamp it good enough. Is there a better glue I could use?

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander
Re: broken transducer

In my opinion you might be fighting a loosing battle trying to glue it due to the fact that it might not hold up to the water hitting it. You might get away with just glueing on the transom with a resin for marine grade glue. Lets get some more opinions.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I fixed mine with marine-tex. had to do it twice - the second time I layered it on there pretty thick, works like new.

ztim

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the marine store but couldn't find any product called marine-tex. Is that like any two step fiberglass compond?

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

I've seen packages in hardware stores containing 2 clear plastic sryinges, labeled "Marine Epoxy" for $8. You dispense an equal sized squirt from each, mix the 2 parts and apply. It cures in a few hours.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I've found that shafting epoxy used to epoxy golf club heads to the shaft is an excellent product. You can order this on line from golf supply houses. The epoxy contains tiny glass beads and forms a really tough bond. Rough up the two mating surfaces. Curing is slow so clamp the parts if possible and don't touch it for a minium of 24 hours. Do the repair at room temperature.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

http://www.marinetex.com/PRODUCT PAGE_files/All MarineTex Putty/marinetex prod info.htm

marine-tex is a 2-part fiberglass putty - I use it to repair my hull like, for example when I ran aground one night on a gravel shore, or when the trailer was misadjusted & scraped the keel to heck. they have it at west marine and BPS, sometimes at academy. haven't checked at cabelas.

how effective it'd be for you might depend on where your break is

my transducer broke just below the bracket - other words, the upper part of the 'ducer was still in the bracket and the lower part was hanging by the cable. Super glue didn't hold it, epoxy didn't hold it (generic hardware-store 5-minute 2-part epoxy). then marine-tex applied just in the break, like you would use an adhesive, held for several months, eventually broke off (just from water pressure under way). So this time I wrapped it in a pretty thick layer of marine tex, a year later still holding strong.

as an aside - when I tried the epoxy, I let some of it run down on the face of the 'ducer, tried to clean it off with MEK, ended up with a knarly scored scratched 'ducer - worked ok going slow, but at speed it wouldn't draw the bottom contour although it did show the depth. I applied a thick layer of loctite 60-minute marine epoxy to the bottom - just drizzled it on and rotated it as it cured - did the trick!

good luck!

ztim

Chief Petty Officer

Okay. Thanks! I did a google on it and found its site. Says I should be able to get it at a marine store or Ace. I'll give it a try.

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I used JB weld to glue mine back together after it broke the mounting neck off. Has held for a year now.

FishyFun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Drill some small holes in both pieces about 3/16 or so deep, and use JB Weld!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wrap with electical tape to hold it together.

lee

AndyL

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you considered mounting it to "shoot thru hull". You wouldn't need the bracket at all then. Instructions for setting it up like this are usually included in the owners manual. It would be protected from ever happening again. Usual format is to epoxy it to the inside of the hull ensuring no air gaps and in such a place that there is no hull aeration passing by underneath. Depends if you can access the outer skin of your boat of course.

ztim

Chief Petty Officer

I can't shoot it through the hull because my boat is aluminum. I did find some Marine-Tex. That stuff is strong as steel. I had to file a point down with a file and the stuff acts just like metal. I'll test it in the water later this or next week. It looks like it will hold forever. Good stuff.
Thanks guys