Minn Kota Auto Pilot problems

Rbsgfd578

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just got ahold of a approx 2001 model Auto PILOT from a friend of mine and everything works on it except it wont spin the prop. He said he thought the pedal was bad on it so we took it apart and found a small burnt spot on the board.I guess what I am asking is if the pedal will turn the motor side to side but wont power the motor, could the pedal be bad or does it sound like the motor is bad? Also is there anyway to test the motor without the pedal to just see if the motor is bad?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Oh yeah 1 other thin when you hit the buttons to run the motor it will click but thats all.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Minn Kota Auto Pilot problems

Minnkota did have a run of bad pedals around that time frame.

dchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I took my petal apart and made my own switch box. They have a printed ciruit board that once wet, tends to not work well. To test it you can use a piece of wire to make a tempary short. Don't leave it on long, just enough to bump the motor.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A Co-Pilot option, wireless or wired, will run that motor provided the motor is okay.

The wiring diagram in a Users Manual will show you what pins to apply +/-12V to to test the motor itself. I think the Manual can be downloaded from the Minn-Kota site.

Minn Kota's Tech Support is very good. Try them.

Rbsgfd578

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I found a service manual out on the net and checked it by jumping 12 volts straight from the battery to the main leads going to the motor and she turned, so that made me feel alot better. I saw where 1 person said the made the own control box do you happen to have a diagram or anything on how you made it?
Thank you guys for you help.

licketdsplit756

Petty Officer 1st Class

instead of starting a new thread since your hear. i need a new mount for a minn kota trolling motor. bow mount. cant seem to find out if i can just bye that part.the motor is fine.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

instead of starting a new thread since your hear. i need a new mount for a minn kota trolling motor. bow mount. cant seem to find out if i can just bye that part.the motor is fine.

try here: motortechva.com/

Edit: Direct links to any commercial operation are not allowed. To a competitor is just very bad manners.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

try here: motortechva.com/

Edit: Direct links to any commercial operation are not allowed. To a competitor is just very bad manners.

Sorry about that JB. Wasn't thinking.