Transducer Placement on a Pontoon Boat

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys. I recently purchase an Eagle FishMark 320 to replace an old Eagle 3D-100 that came with the boat, minus the transducer. I'm not real sure where to place the transducer. I was thinking one of these places under the transom, but wasn't sure. What do you guys think? Oh, I attached a pic that shows the 3 possible places I was thinking to put it. Thanks for your input! I appreciate it!

Attachments

• transplace.JPG
    transplace.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 11

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Transducer Placement on a Pontoon Boat

I am not sure about placement, as I have never owned a toon, but you are gonna love that 320.

Fishstick1962

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Never seen one mounted there. Is that location always in the water, even at WOT? Look on the back of your Toons. Is there a little bracket welded on to them. That is where most Pontoon boats have their transducers and livewell pumps mounted. If they are not present... I'm sure a welding shop can put one on for very little $$$$. Hope this helps.

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. Yeah, I went on a recommendation from a good friend of mine that's an avid fisherman. He said it was the best bang for the buck. I can't wait to try it out!

I do have a bracket welded on the top of the toon on the back, but not the bottom. I guess I could rig something up to make it hang down? I'm pretty sure that location is in the water all the time but that's definitly a good point to bring up. I saw online a "temporary" clamp on bracket built for putting a transducer on pontoons, but it looked like it was designed to hang off the side. I may ask a local aluminum welder and see what it would cost to put a small bracket at the bottom of the toon. Thanks for your help! Anyone else with good advice?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Let's make sure we are talking about the proper location. The bracket is not on the "top" or "bottom" of the pontoon log. It's at the back of the pontoon log, close to the bottom. Think of the back as a dinner plate. Weld a "U" shaped aluminim bracket so it does not extend below the pontoon. Only the transducer should extend slightly below the log. If the bracket hangs down below you create more drag and heaven knows on a toon there is already enough drag. The locations you showed near the motor is absolutely the worst place to put a transducer. All the trash you run over with a pontoon is forced through that area which would rip the transducer off in a heartbeat.

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info. I don't have any pictures of the back of the boat here (I'm at work right now - working hard, can ya tell?) but when I get home, I'll take a look and see if I can post a pic of what I got. I see what you're saying though for sure. I really, really appreciate everyone's help!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Here is where a transducer bracket goes and what it looks like. Just a "u" shaped bracket is all you need.
TransducerBracket.jpg

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, what I thought was on the top, is actually on the bottom. Check out the attached pic. Oops! It looks like the transducer was here before and got ripped off somehow. Thanks everyone. I'll be installing it here!

Attachments

• transplace2.jpg
    transplace2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 12

A.silva

Recruit

I have a U bracket just like one in picture. Inside the U bracket the blige outlet is located. Can transducer be placed on top of U bracket?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You just hijacked another persons thread. This makes it hard to keep up with who is who. You should post your question in a new thread. How would you mount the transducer on top of the bracket. There is nothing there to mount it to. Mount it on the back of the bracket -- that's what it's for. And I wasn't aware that pontoons have a "bilge" outlet. Or are you talking about a "live well" drain. You can always move the drain you know if it is in the way.

robertfromcecil

Recruit

Let's make sure we are talking about the proper location. The bracket is not on the "top" or "bottom" of the pontoon log. It's at the back of the pontoon log, close to the bottom. Think of the back as a dinner plate. Weld a "U" shaped aluminim bracket so it does not extend below the pontoon. Only the transducer should extend slightly below the log. If the bracket hangs down below you create more drag and heaven knows on a toon there is already enough drag. The locations you showed near the motor is absolutely the worst place to put a transducer. All the trash you run over with a pontoon is forced through that area which would rip the transducer off in a heartbeat.

I agree, putting it there it will be out of the water and if you have it lower, it'll hit anything that you go over. I've got the same problem. I'm going to hang mine over the side using pcv pipe so I can take it off for winter fishing. Also, the back of the pontoon has a transducer for just telling you the depth.