bow mount trolling motor on a bowrider with rail?

gkosel

Seaman
What is the best way to mount a bow mount trolling motor on a bowrider with a rail up front?

Attachments

• Bow Pic1.bmp
    39 bytes · Views: 0

gkosel

Seaman
Re: bow mount trolling motor on a bowrider with rail?

Sorry, I forgot how to attach a pic.

Two options:

Build a nice Teak platform that allows you to mount the motor above the rail. The would require a slightly longer shaft on the trolling motor.

OR

Check into modifying the bow rail so that you can make a gap in it for the troller. Most large marine suppliers should be able to supply the fittings to do same.

BTW this issue comes up quite often here. A search may turn up something I overlooked.

Gary

gkosel

Seaman

Thanks for the reply Gary. I have already searched and found several threads that ask about it, but not a whole lot of solutions.

The rail modification would definitely work, however, I would like to get the motor up and above the rail instead of modifying it.

I was at a boat show recently and saw that a lot of the new Bayliners and Glastrons have a bracket for their trolling motors that mount on the front and slanting side of the boat. The salesmen at the boat show were of no help when I asked about the brackets availability and/or whether there were different styles.

If anyone has seen any of these brackets, sold anywhere I would appreciate it.

The other option is to have one made.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the easiest way is to mount a piece of 1/2 aluminum diamond plate on the deck , that sticks out under the rail and mount the motor outside the rail. it will hinder you if docking on that side of the boat.

troypolla

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the same problem with my boat. I may be in some of the posts you are speaking about. I have yet to find anything that will suffice. The wife does not want the rail off the boat, and doesnt want a hole cut in it either. The way I see it is if there was a way to slide the motor out then pivot down instead of that mechanical arm type of bow motors that everyone has.
Hope this helps

Saskatoon2005

Master Chief Petty Officer

Is there any way to attach a mount to the rail? Look into making a some sort of mounting plate that attaches to the rail and voila you have a side business that serves everyone who has a bow rail and wants a mount for a trolling motor...LOL!

troypolla

Petty Officer 1st Class

pretty good idea but thats a lot of pressure on the rail. As long as its welded good enough or clamped tight enough.

Saskatoon2005

Well lets get into this then, how about we start with a picture of your rail on your boat, a location where you want it to go....then we can go from there.

troypolla

Petty Officer 1st Class

If there was a way to mount the whole setup on the rail and have a longer shaft, like said before by welding diamondplate to the rail and using that to mount the whole unit to.

Saskatoon2005

Would still love to see a pic of what you want done....it would sure help.

gkosel

Seaman

I tried uploading a picture in my first post, but obviously was unsuccessful.

If this doesn't work, can you explain how to upload a pic?

Thanks

Attachments

• Bow Pic1.bmp
    39 bytes · Views: 1

Saskatoon2005

You need to upload your picture to a free web picture hosting site...

I use Photobucket.com. Start a free account, upload your pics, and then use the IMG code on here and bingo bango, your pic just shows up on here!

Good luck with the photo posting. I would surely help when trying to help you!

gkosel

Seaman

Thanks for the upload help. I could have sworn that I had uploaded pics before without referencing a free upload type site, but can't remember how I did it.

These are about the best pictures that I could find, until I get the boat out of winter storage.

I think I would be able to mount on the point of the bow, if the gas tank cover wasn't right in the middle. It still may work, but would be a very tight fit for the base of the trolling motor.

If these pics give you any ideas, I am open to anything right now.

x1pX4aYqvB-_dYLufDpmog7nYvPQQk67JsmcVo1A_kqtEj12BT2U2fEKviqkUzI88wQzkGPzFws9i02PNjtZ-nWp2C_ZIcP_vkwoaHUnmnMDO8T19B_65Nmc6-EGcrvntSliJN378J-z23gmCM4htIqJg

x1pX4aYqvB-_dYLufDpmog7nYvPQQk67JsmcVo1A_kqtEiP4Xfd_ffDpMWdmCwhHjSSCTHBcPnbIG37_38AbzazuwsOLs18qag578ZiMnlHxeqjitlg0AwqGV-ryg73XmnIXpuSRNDYfb7hoepVE0keDw

x1pX4aYqvB-_dYLufDpmog7nYvPQQk67JsmcVo1A_kqtEg3onfOxlveiM35uCmp03YJCBKq9UcUX8WoAU7TEcii2uvdqV8tAxE_EfLTTg9EhxFG3_jYh-UODAiKyw9ej9gtrEBL3goo3FEmZtLgZbxb2w

troypolla

Petty Officer 1st Class

ohh heck yea you can fit a troller up there some where just be careful about the placement. You dont want to drill through the gas tube but it should work. My problem is the rail is much taller and is one peice all the way across.

Saskatoon2005

I actually imagined the rail to be higher up than that. That should pose no problem, and I can't see why you can't get one on there. I thought the rail would actually join together at the nose, but it doesn't. Have you even tried to get one to fit there yet? Try first and then get back to us....LOL!

gkosel

Seaman

I think the problem is going to be the gas cap getting in the way.

You are right, in that I have not actually tried to fit a motor on there yet. But I can see how big of a installation footprint will be and still think their may be a problem getting a motor on without bumping into the gas cap.

Maybe I am wrong. I will get back to you when I get the boat out and motor purchased.

Thanks for your help Sask.

Hopefully some of the suggestions posted here may help some of the others that have the high connected rail in the front.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Well you mounting plate should be able to be mounted on the nose, when put in a upright position the motor and shaft should be above the rail. Just mount the plate with the motor attached to check the fit and placement.

The pic here show's how the plate should face toward's the outside edge of the bow, from there one just's mount's the motor and drop's her in.

bow.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the reply Gary. I have already searched and found several threads that ask about it, but not a whole lot of solutions.

The rail modification would definitely work, however, I would like to get the motor up and above the rail instead of modifying it.

I was at a boat show recently and saw that a lot of the new Bayliners and Glastrons have a bracket for their trolling motors that mount on the front and slanting side of the boat. The salesmen at the boat show were of no help when I asked about the brackets availability and/or whether there were different styles.

If anyone has seen any of these brackets, sold anywhere I would appreciate it.

The other option is to have one made.

Ok as to that question i believe two thing's are going on here, one you have a older boat. There are a lot of mount's for your boat from the Trolling motor mfg, there flat and are to be mounted on the flat part of you bow as highlighted in black above. Two you are looking @ custom "bracket's" made by the boat mfg for the spefic type of boat they are selling, as of now they are not avaible as a after market product or so i have been told.

So either do the trolling mfg mount which is flat or custom make one that suit's your need's.

Bass-A-Holic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

troypolla said:
I have the same problem with my boat. I may be in some of the posts you are speaking about. I have yet to find anything that will suffice. The wife does not want the rail off the boat, and doesnt want a hole cut in it either. The way I see it is if there was a way to slide the motor out then pivot down instead of that mechanical arm type of bow motors that everyone has.
Hope this helps

The minnkota powerdrives or terrova might be able to slide under depending on how high your rail is.

troypolla

Petty Officer 1st Class

try about 8-10 inches from the deck.