Minn Kota Terrova or Powerdrive V2?

northcoastbob

Recruit
Re: Minn Kota Terrova or Powerdrive V2?

bhile,
Do you know what is involved with adding AP to an existing Powerdrive V2? I called Minn Kota Service and had to drag it out of him that you could even do it. He says it requires a compass board and a new coiled cable, has to be done by an Authorized Service Center and invalidates the warranty. I would be willing to accept the warranty gotcha but I'm wondering what the total cost would be and if you know a service center that knows how to do it would be helpful? Might be much cheaper than buying a new ap model, Thanks.

gkosel

Seaman

Hi folks!

It has been a long time since I originally submitted this post, but I finally saved enough money and pulled the trigger on a new Terrova with AP/US 80lb with a 60" shaft.

The stow and deploy on the Terrova just seems a lot better and I like the foot pedal with AP on it better as well as the extra 10lbs of thrust.

I won't be able to test this for a couple of months as we are right in the middle of our worst blizzard of the year, but I got a good show discount on it and had some tax money to pay for it.

I will follow-up with my experience after testing it out this summer.

Happy fishing until then!​

mystro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BTW, has any one added a Co-Pilot to the V2 AP..was it a seemless install and end up giving you more control/easier control?

timalabim

Seaman

BTW, has any one added a Co-Pilot to the V2 AP..was it a seemless install and end up giving you more control/easier control?

I just put a Co-Pilot on my new V2/AP last week. It took about a minute. Undo two screws, put on the Co-Pilot with 2 longer screws, plug it in, done.

Haven't had it on the water yet, either with or without the Co-pilot. So don't know if the control with the CP is easier or not.

Further North

Seaman Apprentice

Way late to the party but here's what I know from making the decision between the Terrova and Powerdrive V2:

1. The stow and deploy on the Terrova is hands down better than the Powerdive
  2. Autopilot can be only be added to Terrova models - if you want Autopilot on a PowerDrive, you have to buy it that way.
  3. Copilot can be added to either, but the Copilot on the Terrova has more features.
  4. The Universal Sonar on the Terrova is the Cat's ***. It's probably just as good on the Powerdrive, but I'd already made my choice....

jimg984

Chief Petty Officer

auto polit can be added to the power drive v2 the cost is about $200.00 needs to be done by dealer service center voids any warranty as stated in previous post (infro from Minn Kota customer service)

envoy98

Cadet

Just wondering how the Terrova worked out for you. I currently have a Minn-Kota Edge cable drive that I hate. I too am debating between the 80# Terrova and the 70# V2. Would love to get the AutoPilot, don't much care about the US2 or the 80#v. 70# as I have a 70# now.

Wondering what your review is now that you've used it for an entire season.

-Josh

pjbrownva

Recruit

>>> "Would love to get the AutoPilot"

FYI, Minn Kota just released a new "auto" feature (released in November)
called "i-Pilot". It is a GPS - based add-on with a remote control that adds
AWESOME speed, position, and navigation features to their motors.

The list price is $399. It is an add-on to PowerDrive V2, Terrova, and related Riptide motors. This unit is a game-changer. (search on i-Pilot to find reviews).

If you get the i-Pilot, it replaces (or eliminates the need for) both the auto-pilot and co-pilot.

This means that at this point I would recommend getting either the terrova or powerDrive -- with or with out sonar, but WITHOUT the other features such as co-pilot and/or auto-pilot. Plan on adding an i-Pilot to it.

From reading the posts, the terrova seems to be more sturdy, and easier to deploy and stow. It's likely that the pedal differences between the two will become moot for many users, as I would imagine that you will end up using the remote control and the i-drive for most of your navigation (and ignore the pedal completely).

so I would say this.

1) Ignore and don't get an auto-pilot or co-pilot
2) Plan on getting the i-pilot as an add on. If you can't afford it now, just
get the basic trolling motor (terrova or powerDrive V2) and save up your
ca$h to add an i-pilot later.
3) Get the terrova if you want an easier stow and deploy and more rugged unit. Get the powerDrive V2 if cost is your primary motivator.

4) HAVE FUN, and catch lots-of fish.

(P.S. Minn Kota says that the i-pilot works with all 2007 and newer versions of these motors... so if you get a used or older one... you should do your homework re: adding a i-pilot to it).

envoy98

Cadet

pjbrownva - great post. Thanks!

Cost is not a deciding factor. What sucks is that I let the dealership talk me into that crappy cable drive Edge when I ordered the boat. Hope I can recoup some of my investment on that thing.

As far as iPilot. I've researched it and I am definitely going to add it. I assumed it replaced the auto/co-pilot functions but wasn't positive and I wasn't certain if one or the other needed to already be on there for the iPilot to work. I stopped researching before I found that.

Sounds like Terrova with iPilot but none of the other features, which just about pays for the iPilot anyway.

My wife thanks you. :)

-Josh

rndn

Commander

I went though all of the research last summer and went with the Terrova 55# w/AP. I'm also looking at the new i-Pilot. I went with the Terrova because the foot pedal is much more user friendly as well as the launch and retrieve feature and after weeks of searching I found a great deal off of eBay for a new unit. I have a severe lower back condition and these features were important to me.
I was able to use it several times and have no regrets.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Terrova also has a heavier motor. If you add the i-Pilot later the foot pedal will no longer work with the V-2. It will with the Terrova.

tpcowfish

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wow , glad i read this, I am getting new P D 70# with co-pilot, Should i just get I-Pilot, will I need diff. pedal. Just getting new boat and ordered it with the PD , Still not to late to switch, Well Im going researching this I-Pilot, Thanks For any help

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Wow , glad i read this, I am getting new P D 70# with co-pilot, Should i just get I-Pilot, will I need diff. pedal. Just getting new boat and ordered it with the PD , Still not to late to switch, Well Im going researching this I-Pilot, Thanks For any help

If you get the i-Pilot you don't need the co-pilot. Once the i-Pilot is installed on a V-2 you just store the pedal as it will not work. If you want pedal operation with the i-Pilot then you need to get a Terrova.

tpcowfish

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Bhile, ur exactly rite, dont know if i want a no pedal motor, I contacted Minnkota, They said PD 70#, with I-pilot,pedal does not work, Terrova, will work, but automatic shut off of I-Pilot, Thanks, Its nice to know these details before purchase, some dealers don't tell ya, or they don't know

capndan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm bumping this up to see if there is any new news on these motors. Looking at a 24v system to put on my 19' deep V aluminum Crestliner, bow mounted with ipilot.

Specific questions:

it sounded like the Terrova deploy/retrieve mechanism may be easier on lower back than the PD V2...any more info on this..(my lower back is iffy, at best)

every place I've looked has the units at exactly the same price, to the penny. Any leads on better deals than MSRP?

Mounting requirements. Does one require any more space, or any more difficulty to mount?

What about Universal Sonar...sounds great when using trolling motor, but what if you aren't using it? You have to have the trolling motor in. Isn't that a problem sometimes?

thanks,
DanL

roncoop75

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just bought a PowerDrive V2 last week. I've mounted it and tested it on land but haven't had a chance to put it in the water yet (#$%!#@ trailer lights).:mad:

About the "deploy system". From reading reviews I was a bit apprehensive as to the difficulty of deploying the motor. I'll put it this way. I'm glad I'm in fairly good health. If I were ordering this for my mobile but but average 80 year old grandpa... I'd get the Terrova. I have this on the bow of a 16' closed bow, right in front of the windshield, passenger side (old boat, I don't care how it looks), I can reach over the windshield and pull it up and also deploy it. It's not THAT hard. HOWEVER, my father is 76, there is no way I'd even ask him to put that motor up or down.

In short, it's bit of a grunt but unless you get winded tying your shoes or have some sort of back problems, it's really not that bad.

dt5150

Seaman

imo, get whichever model has a heel-toe pedal. the other ones are a PITA.

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe I have one of the original Powerdrive. 55lb 12v model.

The turning on it is a lot louder than I would like. Are the newer models much quieter, when turning?

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

I have two PD's, 2 and 3 years old and I can barely hear them turn and only if I really listen under very quiet conditions.

okiefish

Recruit

Hey Guys,

I recently went through this same dilemma and found myself proceeding with the Terrova with iPilot. Although some of Minn Kota's choices in wiring length were to say the least puzzling, I think I chose the right motor for my 20' Champion.

More information located at www.fishinggeekz.com for your information.

2006 Champion 206
250 Yamaha
80# Terrova