Minn Kota Engine Mount Trolling Motors feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer
I'd like to hear opinions from folks who have purchased and are using the MinnKota EM trolling motors.

I'm looking to add one to my Glastron I/O bowrider. I am not wanting to add the traditional bracket mounted, or transom mounted trolling motor to my boat, as it is 90% used as a pleasure boat, and we love it.

I'm interested in feedback from folks who have purchased one....How was the installation? How is it working for you?

This would be for freshwater use only, and I would be getting the single prop model, either the 55 or 80...don't know yet.

Thanks!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Minn Kota Engine Mount Trolling Motors feedback?

For the 80 model, you'll need room for two more batteries since this is a 24 volt model? One battery is needed for the 55.

rckrzy1

Cadet

Just used mine for the first time on our 18' bowride, I got
the EM 55 . And considering the winds where a stiff
15 mph I was still able to turn the boat 360 with ease
and even make 1.5 -1.9 mph into the wind. I'm
using a group 24 AGM battery.

The install was quite easy and I was able to use to some
of my existing holes from the fin that was mounted on the
plate (now removed as I fear it would hurt it's performance or get in the way).

I do believe there may be a better prop for the EM as the
weed wedge 2 is more concerned with weeds than thrust, and with the EM NOT at the bottom and actualy guarded by the out drive I don't think it needs it.

Any TROLLING GURUS got the scoop on the best thrusting prop ?

Adam
dorelse said:
I'd like to hear opinions from folks who have purchased and are using the MinnKota EM trolling motors.

I'm looking to add one to my Glastron I/O bowrider. I am not wanting to add the traditional bracket mounted, or transom mounted trolling motor to my boat, as it is 90% used as a pleasure boat, and we love it.

I'm interested in feedback from folks who have purchased one....How was the installation? How is it working for you?

This would be for freshwater use only, and I would be getting the single prop model, either the 55 or 80...don't know yet.

Thanks!

troypolla

Petty Officer 1st Class

lets keep this thread alive. I am looking at the 55 model as well. My boat was not designed to have a bow trollling motor and there is no space on my transom for one. Any new opinions out there about this style other than you have to be glued to your steering wheel?

mikphilips

Cadet

The twin motor setup seems very effective. You can steer the boat, tractor style, anywhere the 18ft corded remote will reach. The challenge (for me) is the required 13" of water above the engines horizontal fins. My water depth at fin is more like 8", so I would need to invest in a jack plate to get the trolling props down into the water. Investing in the jack plate gives me adjustability of the prop depth during planing, which can give more efficient fuel use during runs.
But one aspect of the basic engine-mounted design is that it requires that your engine's prop be left down creating another 12" of dragging mass. While this keeps you from exploring shallower water, it does protect your trolling motors well accidental bumps.
I have an 18ft center console that probably needs the 80 Model with a 24v feed. This means a 2 or 3 battery setup (see separate post on "Wiring 3 batteries:...") which brings added complexity in your wiring for charging and use of the 3 batts.
The biggest advantage for me to use the engine mounted trolling setup is that it leaves my bow clear for fishing with no trolling motor apparatus to be folded and stored during runs.
But they are not cheap, especially when you have to add in the cost of a jack plate!

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

mikphilips, can you explane what you mean by you can steer the boat, tractor style?

I am looking into my trolling motor options and am not familiar with what tractor style steering means.

Thanks Jeff

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Where does the jack plate come into play on an engine mounted troller. I too wonder how you remotely steer and engine mounted troller.

schmitty 1

Recruit
Bringing an old thread to life. I want to put a 80 lb EM minn Kota trolling motor on my 125 Merc outboard , Sea Ray 175 can anyone give me advice, on any problems and what they think of the EM trolling motors . Thanks much

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Bringing an old thread to life. I want to put a 80 lb EM minn Kota trolling motor on my 125 Merc outboard , Sea Ray 175 can anyone give me advice, on any problems and what they think of the EM trolling motors . Thanks much

Please read the rules about bringing an old thread back to life. Start a new thread instead of tagging a long dead thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.