Bilge pump install?

backlash1

Cadet
i have a 1982 Glastron SSV 167 that is wired for a bilge pump but has never had one installed. i bought the boat last fall and so far have not had any problems with water, just a small stream out the drain when i pull her out of the water but would like to install a pump to make myself feel better. there are no holes or through hull fittings or anything for the plumbing. trying to figure out the best and easiest way to install a pump and plumbing. any suggestions? thank you.

backlash1

Cadet
Re: Bilge pump install?

great info rick, but what i guess i'm really asking is where in my boat specifically could i safely and effectively mount the pump and run the discharge plumbing? could i just mount it at the rear of the boat near the drain hole in the compartment behind the fuel tank where the batteries are? plumb it straight up through the fiberglass into the splashwell? can you safely drill through that fiberglass without chewing it up bad? i want to install the pump for safety reasons and want to do it right the first time so i don't have holes in the fiberglass for no reason and knowing me, i will get half way done and have holes drilled and then think of a better way to do it and be stuck with holes.

Rudy Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mine is installed on the side of the boat by the livewell overflow. Just get the right size holesaw and go for it. Just make sure you can get to the fitting on the inside of the hull.:^ You want the pump to be at the lowest part of the boat(usually in the stern) and plumb the line somewhere above the waterline. Ya also gonna need some 3M 4200 or 5200 to seal the thru hull fitting. I'm partial to 5200.

ZmOz

Captain

In my CV-16 I just ran the hose from the pump through the hole in the splashwell where the cables go through, and just let the water drain into the splashwell. Didn't have to drill, cut, or seal anything.

backlash1

Cadet

the boat is prewired with #16 wire from the switch on the dash and the pump is wired with #16 wire, but i have seen a lot on here suggesting to use bigger than that. would i be alright just hooking up what i have, or will that cause problems? the pump will be hooked up to the battery that starts the motor and runs the lights. thanks guys...

bsh21wash

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just installed a bilge on my boat, I mounted it about 6 inches from the drain plug and ran a hose up to the back of the transom. They say about 12 inches from the water line is good. I drilled a 1 inch thru hole (for 3/4 hose) sealed with 4200 and bam!! Looks and works great. I used a automatic bilge which I think is awesome, just put it on auto and water spits out when it needs to.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Mine is just like zmoz's...empties into the splashwell...added benefit = you can see whether it's pumping water or not.

On the wire size...fuse it to the pump manufacturers specs and you're good to go.

BTW the pump might make you feel good, sure, but you ought to consider it critical safety equipment. Be surprised how much water rainstorms and swimmers can bring into your boat. ;)

rottenray6402

Ensign

The newer bilge pumps only draw 2 to 4 amps so the 16 gauge wire is good. You will certainly be glad you have a pump if you keep your boat in the water for a few days and it rains or like Jtexas said about swimmers. I like my outlet on the drivers side so I can see if it's pumping while underway.

f4igrad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i recently installed a new bilge in my boat. is it supposed to suck out all of the water? when there is just a little bit of water in the bilge area and i flip the bilge on, it sucks the water into the bilge but doesn't spit it out of the hose, it just sits in there while the bilge is running. then when i turn the bilge off it comes back out.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

f4igrad said:
i recently installed a new bilge in my boat. is it supposed to suck out all of the water? when there is just a little bit of water in the bilge area and i flip the bilge on, it sucks the water into the bilge but doesn't spit it out of the hose, it just sits in there while the bilge is running. then when i turn the bilge off it comes back out.

nope, you're describing normal operation. To empty that last bit you'd need a pump at the outlet that was capable of pulling water, as opposed to pushing it.