Mounting Two Transducers Close

NBE

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can two transducers be mounted close to each other or will they interfere with each other? One is a flasher that shows just depth and temperature and the other is a standard fishfinder.

Thanks!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Mounting Two Transducers Close

If they use the same frequency they will interfere.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I Agree. If on the same frequency they will interfere with each other. Even if you mount one on the bow trolling motor and one on the Transom of the boat when you get over about 30 feet deep they will interfere with each other. If there next to each other on the transom then they will interfere even is shallow water if on the same frequency.

NBE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for your comments.

One is a Zircom flasher and the other is an Eagle fish finder. I'll look at the frequencies just to check. I plan on mounting the Eagle on the opposite side of the transom and if for some reason there is some interference I'll just shut the Zircom off. I would rather use the Eagle anyway.

I do have a Lowrance mounted on the trolling motor at the front. I rarely fish water more than 15 - 20 feet deep. Usually it's more like 3 - 10 feet so I will probably be ok as far as interference from the front to the back.

By the way, the Lowrance and the Zircom came with the boat. The Eagle was from my other boat and I just wanted to put it on there so I would have one available while at the rear of the boat. I have no problem if I am never able to use the Zircom again. It's only depth and temperature and is kind of spotty while under way due to the transducer needing to be lowered. When you lower it a little bit it causes a hell of a spray in the back of the boat because it is a big transducer. I'll just use it as a back-up.

Thanks again!

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not to steal the thread... But In reguards to this... What then do people to when they have 2 fish finders?

I am looking at getting a 2nd fish finder to use on my boat in the bow for trolling... So this problem is going to be comming up for me..

Thanks,

-TheChad

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

chad,
get a 2nd one with a different frequency from the first. Otherwise, put one 'ducer on the trolling motor and one on the transom; if your boat is long enough, and the water isn't too deep, and if the sensitivity isn't set too high, you won't get interference. And if you do, just turn off the console unit when you start fishing - the one on the t/m won't interfere while it's out of the water.

NBE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just to update: I mounted the Eagle transducer on the port side of the transom which is the opposite side from where the Zircom transducer is located.

All three instruments work fine with no interference so far. Again, I do not fish really deep water so it seems I am not going to have any problems.

I still plan on using the Zircom as just a backup as the Eagle gives me more info.