Thru hull transducer location

bertherr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just purchased a Hurricane Sundeck 217 with a 200 HPDI Yamaha. It has a Teleflex depth/fish finder unit with the transducer glued to the hull near the bilge pump. The display is sensitive to the trim angle of the engine at cruising speed. It will only display properly if the trim is fairly high. If not, the display reads 0 feet. Similar to the display if you get into less than 2 feet of water. Also, if the engine is in reverse the diplay will read 300 or feet or more. Will moving the transducer to a different location help? Thanks, Bert. :D

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: Thru hull transducer location

It might help to move the transducer up closer to midships -- can't quite tell from the description where it is currently located. I've also found that the depthfinder seems to work fine even with less than perfect installation of the transducer. On one boat, I wrapped the transducer in heavy-duty plastic wrap and bedded it in 5200 -- object was to keep the transducer face clear and uncoated, but keep it stable. That seemed to work fine. I also noticed after about a season that the transducer was no longer bedded but flat on the bottom of the hull -- and that seemed to work OK too.<br /><br />So maybe the best suggestion is to keep it simple to start with. Place the transducer in what seems like a good spot flat on the bottom of the hull, maybe rigging up a way to keep it reasonably in place, and see if it operates. You can get into more complexity from there (Didn't the old instructions involve mounting the thing in a container of mineral oil?)<br /><br />....of course, I'm on the Magothy and maybe it's done differently on the Severn....

bertherr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks. The unit was installed at the Hurricane factory while being built. It is currently located close to the bilge pump near the rear of the boat. I'm trying to get Hurricane to send me a new transducer so I can play with different locations. I don't think I should try to knck the current one loose. I'll try forward as you suggest. I was planning on using a small sand bag to secure it in it's test locations. Is the 5200 you mentioned an epoxy? Thanks, Bert :D

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

5200 is the marine adhesive made by 3M. It's not epoxy. I was using it pretty much as a bedding compound, but other products would also do -- including thickened epoxy (West System, for example). But don't stick the transducer face into the bedding compound, epoxy or whatever. It may spoil the face, and in any case you will get a pretty permanent installation. Covering the face/wrapping the unit with something like heavy plastic keeps it from sticking.<br /><br />I agree with your choice not to move the builder-installed transducer, whether it's a through-hull or some other installation. By the way, it would seem like a good idea to raise your performance concerns with the manufacturer of the boat and/or the depth finder.<br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br /> Curt (oldboat1)

singerjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Bert,<br /><br />Teleflex and Humminbird are made by the same company and are identical units, just a different brand on the units check out their sites.<br /><br />I have a unit that was installed at the factory and the dealer much to my surprise isn't very knowledgeable about sonar and the manual was missing when I bought my (NEW) boat. I have found the Teleflex / Humminbird / Telsonic people to be very helpful, they will even swap your transducer for a different one; you just unbolt the transducer from the mounting bracket. They have a wide variety of transducer units available through their main site. There may be one better suited for your setup.<br /><br />They have two accessory stores on line through Teleflex / Humminbird / Telsonic. They informed me while I was inquiring about accessories that transducers, and other accessories are interchangeable for all Teleflex units, no matter the brand on the unit. The sites contain a lot of info and help in solving a very wide assortment of problems, including interference from other on board equipment. <br /><br />You can even download the full manual for any model for free. I downloaded a 43-page manual, only cost paper and ink. I thought I was in for a lot of trouble and time in getting a manual even though it was the dealer’s responsibility. I’ve paid for such things in the past with other companies.<br /><br />The following are all sites of Teleflex, hope they help!<br /><br />www.teleflex.com<br />www.humminbird.com<br />www.tfxmarine.com<br />www.tfxmarine.com/catalog.html<br />www.humminbird.com/hb_children.asp?id=47<br />www.humminbird.com/retail/<br /><br />Good Luck! ;)

bertherr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, Capt. I have been in contact with Hurricane. They are sending me a new transducer, and offered to pay for any costs involved with installing. I will try it out in several locations and hope for the best. Thanks, Bert. :D

ChadMundey

Cadet

OK, I know this is a really old thread but I'm grasping for any info I can get my hands on.

I have a 2006 Bayliner 175 and I just purchased a Hummingbird HDR 610 P. After reading all the posts in this thread it sounds like I can just mix the epoxy and glue the puck down somewhere in the center of the boat and it should work. I'm thinking I'll glue it down where the X is is this picture.

What do you guys think????

Thank you for any help.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 175_floor.jpg
    175_floor.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 0

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the quality suffers in thru hull installation if your looking for a quality installation go with either a transome mount or trolling motor mount. post a new thread you'll get a better response.:D