Electric prop rotation

Lessismor

Cadet
Hello. I have a minn Kota 599 12/24 volt bow mount I recently acquired for my 14’ aluminum boat. It did not have the bat cables on it so after reading a few threads in here I figured it out. I think! When I took it out and hit the foot switch with motor facing forward, I went backward. Only way to go forward it to have the prop facing forward, motor case behind it. This don’t seem correct? I put multi tester on it, and it shows that the polarity isn’t backwards.(normal ya negative symbol will appear. This happens in either voltage, on cont or not. Seems like the prop should b behind the motor casing? Is this correct? The motor works great, has red wire to bat 1 pos, white wire to bat 2 negative, and black wire to bat 1 negative along with jumper to bat 2 pos. Voltage switches fine and 4 speeds on each setting works fine.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I'm guessing here, so you acquired a used trolling motor. It's possible the previous owner could have had it on the back of the boat. So they removed the control head and reversed it. The lower motor is usually ahead of the prop so it bumps something before damaging the prop. Just remove the bolt/setscrews on the control head and turn it 1/2 turn on the shaft.

Lessismor

Cadet
Ok I will give that a try. R u talking about the stoppers on the gear chain? How will that change the blade rotation? Right now when I hit power n 12 or 24, the boat backs up. Causing me to turn the unit around to move forward. I bought it used and don’t know the history on it. The bet cables have been replaced going inside the pedal but I’ve tested them and they seem correct.

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
You mean gearcase? I'm talking about the controller on top of the shaft. Post a pic of your setup.

Lessismor

Cadet
Ok here is what I have, the direction that the motor is facing right now, I will be going backwards. In order to go forward, I need to turn the motor around, as if to back up. N any case, in order to go forward the prop must sit n front of the gear case. And looking at the sharp of the prop, it makes sense which direction the water is gonna flow. I just don’t understand y unless there was a reverse which thiss 599 don’t have. I no some dc motors if u reverse the polarity they will run backwards. I don’t no if that applies to this motor, and my multi meter shows that the polarity is correct. This is driving me nutz

Attachments

• photo340720.jpg
    photo340720.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 3
  • photo340721.jpg
    photo340721.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 4

Lessismor

Cadet
And r those set screws on top hex or something else mine r a bit beat up so it’s hard to tell? And thank you for your responses I have read your project and it was very helpful and it never mentioned a reverse either. So I assume to backup u simply turn the motor around with foot control

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Just loosen the set screws on the control head and spin it around 1/2 turn.

Lessismor

Cadet
So I went ahead and revered the polarity and got it running forward now. I put 12v black on pos and red on neg Jumper from meg bat 1(12v) to pos bat 2 and white to neg bat 2 for 24.v switching. Now I need to figure out how I can easily connect a charger to it? I guess as long as the motor isn’t switched on I could connect charger to 24v system normaly

Lessismor

Cadet
Just loosen the set screws on the control head and spin it around 1/2 turn.
So I dunno what happened with this forum, I was gone for a few days and everything has changed! I even had to change my password. Point of this is I cannot find the restoration of the minn Kota 599 that was posted? I need to order new steering cables for mine

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Not sure if polarity will harm it myself. If you do what I said it will work. If you insist on leaving it the way it is, I'd charge with the battery unhooked.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
It has the wrong prop on it or installed wrong. All Minnkotas turn CC for forward motion.

Lessismor

Cadet
Not sure if polarity will harm it myself. If you do what I said it will work. If you insist on leaving it the way it is, I'd charge with the battery unhooked.
I put an isolater between the batteries for caution. The tm works great since I reversed the polarity, on 12 or 24. It lasts for a couple days out without a charge. Now I have to find new steering cables. Did iBoats reformat or upgrade? Seems like I can’t find the 599 restoration deal that always popped up?

Lessismor

Cadet
It has the wrong prop on it or installed wrong. All Minnkotas turn CC for forward motion.
Can the prop b put on backwards? It is the way that I bought it. Never crossed my mind to check that! I will tomorrow for sure thanks

Lessismor

Cadet
Can the prop b put on backwards? It is the way that I bought it. Never crossed my mind to check that! I will tomorrow for sure thanks
Well my prop only fits one way, and the motor is turning clockwise(after reversing the wires) so I dunno maybe previous owner opened the lower end and did something inside magnets or wires. But until I find new cables for steering it not going any where