Tilt/trim switch Up only works

Adshafer

Cadet
So I have my new tilt/trim pump installed. I am wiring it to the front switch that I have as my console with my lever switch’s is torn apart for a new ignition switch. My issue is that I am getting only up to work correctly, when it comes to down I press down on the switch I get nothing but a click from my second solenoid. I have come to read that the solenoids are only for up. With that being the case do I hook up my green wire from my tilt/trim pump, to the down wire(it’s green on my switch as well)? That doesn’t make sense to me because how does it get power but I am no expert I am learning here. I would appreciate any help and maybe a different wiring diagram that would show this as well. Thanks in advance!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the electrical schematic would be in the factory service manual for the engine you have that you dont specify

however green is down, blue is up

verify you have a good switch on the throttle, then go back to the pump and look at the two directional relays.

Adshafer

Cadet
Scott, I Do have a good switch up front I have checked that. And I also have 2 brand new solenoids as well so I should be good there. I’m just trying to figure out what I don’t have hooked up correctly. I sadly don’t have the original book but I have been following this sites diagram.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
loose connections?........ assuming your new trim pump works as it should ( run jumper wire from battery, touch each solenoid- up/down.. work? if yes. you have a short someplace, loose connection, bad switch....

Adshafer

Cadet
I’ve tried that jumper test and I still get no down. I know my down works because if I take it off the solenoid and direct line it to the battery it goes down

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I’ve tried that jumper test and I still get no down. I know my down works because if I take it off the solenoid and direct line it to the battery it goes down

then you have something wired wrong.

there are 2-wire motors and 3-wire motors. different wiring for each circuit, however its a simple reversing relay setup.

Adshafer

Cadet
Scott, I have a 3 wire pump setup. On the switch I am using I have a green wire up top, a purple wire with a 20 amp fuse in the middle, and then a navy blue wire on the bottom. I have the purple wire with my fuse on a main pole on my up solenoid. I have my top green wire on a small pole with my up solenoid, and lastly have the navy blue blue bottom wire on my down solenoid smaller pole. I have tried switching them and it’s just reversed at the switch. I have found that I’m not sure the top green wire is in the correct spot. I have found on many setups it is actually connected to the main green wire from the motor. As the solenoids are for Up trim only. Should I transfer my setup to just a one solenoid setup and see if it works? Or is that not recommended?

emoney

Commander
I wouldn't think you'd have dual solenoids if it only needed the "up" version. Are you 100% sure the switch on ur dash is "On-Off-On"? They can look the same but not be the same.

By the way, do you have a switch on the side of the motor and does it work correctly?

Adshafer

Cadet
See that’s the thing I’m not even sure if I do need 2 solenoids or not. When I got the boat it was hooked up that way so I assumed. I have the co some switch on my lever but I am not using that right now as I am putting In a new ignition switch. So I am using my front switch that is on my boat. The front switch has 3 plug ins only and it seems to be on-off-on.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Did you tell us what motor, year and PTT pump brand you are using?

Also, count the wires on the PTT pump. There will be green and blue on 2 wire pump motors, and green, blue and black on 3 wire pump motors.