Boat won’t start with key

Brycenwood

Recruit
I have a 2016 mastercraft nxt 20. It will start, but not with the key. I don’t really know what I’m doing and barely know anything about electrical haha but I’m trying to figure it out as I go. I just put a new starter and starter solenoid on. The safety neutral switch is getting 12vs and is working. I tested the starter relay switch and it’s fine. Im only getting 4.6 volts from the red wire that goes from the relay switch to the solenoid. (That needs to be 12 right?) I think it’s because I’m only getting 4.6 volts from the yellow/red wire that goes from the relay switch to the push button at the front of the boat. Does that need to be 12 volts? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’ve tried testing the voltage at all of the connections that the yellow/red start wire goes through but I’m getting readings all over the place. Thanks in advance!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Two things;
  1. What motor?
  2. Before the starter/solenoid went bad, must be bad to replace them, did you have cranking problems?
  3. Make it 3 things - Do you have a wiring diagram?
  4. Heck, #4 - Welcome aboard.

Brycenwood

Recruit
Its a 5.7 Illmor MV8. I only replaced the starter/solenoid because I thought that could have been the problem. I really don't know that much, but after doing some research and testing some things I don't think it was that. Before I replaced it there were no cranking problems, but I still could not start it with the key. Ive looked everywhere and have tried to find a wiring diagram but I can't. That would probably make it a lot easier hahaha. And thanks! Ive spent that last couple of days on these forums and have learned so much from everyone!

Brycenwood

Recruit
No, atleast not by using the key. but I've always been able to jump it with a screwdriver. It runs fine when its started. I just can't get it started by using the key. I was just messing with it and before its been getting around 4volts to the solenoid when the key is turned on, but I got it to read around 9 for just a few minutes. Could it just be a bad connection or ground somewhere?