Trim Switch Question

Tjbraves02

Recruit
I have a 1995 Regal 20’ with a 4.3 Mercruiser with an Alpha 1 out drive. My up trim quit working when I’m setting or the motor is turned off. The interesting thing is my up trim will work most of the time if I am moving across the water. My down trim and trailer trim button work fine. Any guidance is appreciated. I am sure this has been addressed before if so direct me to a thread and I will read up on it. Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy
Does the trim pump run but drive does not come?
Or does the pump not run except when the boat is moving?

Tjbraves02

Recruit
It used to function as normal hit the thump switch and it’d go up or down. Now it will only come up if the boat is moving. Not sure if that answers your question or not. I don’t hear clicking at the pump.

alldodge

Staff member
Yes, that helps, didn't know if it was an electrical issue or a hydraulic issue.

Being electrical issue, I would guess its either corrosion or bad switch. Need a multimeter and check voltages. Measure voltages on the small terminals at the pump relays. Check for power on the small Blue/White wire connected to the top relay when the trim switch is pushed up

If you get 12V then its the relay
If you don't get 12V then check for voltage at the 3 prong connector and then the throttle handle switch

Trim wiring Merc 2012.jpg