1978 Glastron SSV-189 Trim motor not working

spanky577

Cadet
Just bought this boat and it looks like I have some wiring issues going on. The 3 button switch is beside the throttle. I've attached a picture of it. I am getting no response out of it at all. I put power directly to the solenoid and all I hear is a tick sound from the solenoid but the motor is not turning. The battery is fully charged. Do I need a new motor?
I've also noticed that this outdrive doesn't have the limit switches on the side like I see most do. Where might these limit switches be located on this one? The out drive says Mercruiser but I don't see anything else except a sticker that says torque. There is also 2 lines going to each cylinder. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• photo336886.jpg
    photo336886.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo336888.jpg
    photo336888.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

kenny nunez

Captain
The drive platform you have was last produced in 68-69. If there is voltage to the trim motor when the buttons are pushed then the brushes in the trim pump motor are probably stuck and are not contacting the armature. If you can remove the brush cover there is a ball or b b on the end of the armature that holds the shaft down to keep it engaged in the pump so be sure to not loose it. If the armature is not pitted and the brushes are still good, free them up and with some string tie the brushes back to mount the cover over the shaft then pull out the string.

spanky577

Cadet
Well, I took the unit out and it needs a new motor. The brushes are non existent and wires are broken inside. Where is a good place to buy a new motor or even replace the complete pump/motor assembly?

spanky577

Cadet
So I looked a bit further in trying to replace the brushes for this motor. Looks like I should be able to and I can buy the cap that includes the brushes and springs. But there is a black wire that goes from the motor to this cap. See picture attached. I guess I would have to disconnect it and solder it back onto the new one?

Attachments

• photo337145.jpg
    photo337145.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

kenny nunez

Captain
Just re solder the wire to the brush holder. Another trick to re install the brush head is to cut a length of coat hanger wire 7” long then bend it into a V, use the that to hold the brushes back while dropping the cover down. You still have the small bb I hope. If you pull the armature out the oil will fill the cavity that the flat spot on the shaft engages so you have to push down and you will feel the shaft going back in place and will feel a Hydraulic resistance as you spin the shaft.

spanky577

Cadet
Oh i kept the small bb. I also emptied the reservoir so I can replace with new. Looks like the original oil. Thanks for your help Kenny. I'll get a new cap in the next week or so. UPS and mail are taking forever right now.

kenny nunez

Captain
While you are at it remove the 4 cap screws under the pump that hold the trim block. there are 4 “O” rings that are easy to match at an auto or hardware store. Put a straight edge across the bolt holes and the block surface will be not flat. That is a normal thing because of the 3k working pressure. Try to file the surface as flat as possible which will keep the “O” rings from blowing out.
I always put a small amount of grease in the brush holder to keep the brushes from binding. And also on the end of the shaft to hold the bb in place.