fuel tank bonding, sender grounded

NHGuy

Captain
My boat is the 87 Formula shown in the description below. And I am far from the original owner.

The wiring is original and I have the OE manual with diagrams. My fuel gauge hasn't worked and I am cautious of making any connections in there.
I tested the gauge and it is OK. I replaced the sender. Still I get no reading, it stays at the bottom mark. This boat has no AC power at all, it has only DC. But it has some Light Green bonding wire to the tank. And there is a loose black DC ground near the tank and sender wiring in the harness. I do not have a ground to the sender or the tank.

The OE manual shows a bonding green wire to the tank, A pink to the sender, and a black wire next to it. There is nothing in the diagram that specifies where the black goes, but since it it depicted on the other side of the pink I would like to install it to the body of my sender.
I have a healthy respect/fear of electricity and would like some clarification.

Last edited:

NHGuy

Captain
BTW, the screw to bond my Alpha Gen 2, to the gimbal has gone missing. I looked through my box of saved screws today and didn't find a match. Mercruiser doesn't show a separate item. Does any one know the pitch and length?

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Here are some photos from my 1991 F-242 SS tank before/after the rebuild.

Before
Click image for larger version  Name:	StringerCheck-31.jpg Views:	1 Size:	34.4 KB ID:	10910269

IMG_0623.jpg

It looks like the ground wire is connected to the bonding wire. I believe the bonding wire was connected to ground somewhere . . .

Attachments

• StringerCheck-31.jpg
    StringerCheck-31.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1

tpenfield

Staff member
Here is a better picture of my fuel tank before disassembly . . .

StringerCheck-040B.jpg

Looks like the ground tab on the sender is connected to the bonding tab on the tank.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Could be the bonding wire is not hooked up on the other end. Follow it through to make sure its bonded correctly. Also, run a separate ground to the sender itself. You can attach a temporary wire to test the sender, if it still don't work its the sender itself .