MinnKota Maximizer question

dwco5051

Commander
Click image for larger version  Name:	Minn-Kota-Maximizer-Trolling-Motor-Electronic-Power-Control.jpg Views:	1 Size:	24.7 KB ID:	10909229
Just bought another boat and it came with one of these. Previous owner deceased and I have no idea what it does. Can someone explain what it does and how to use it. Could not find a manual for it yet on line.

sam am I

Commander
If for example your TM is a fixed 5 speeds, the maximizer gives the motor a "infinite" speed control.

e.g., 0-100% verse 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, 100%

dwco5051

Commander
If for example your TM is a fixed 5 speeds, the maximizer gives the motor a "infinite" speed control.

e.g., 0-100% verse 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, 100%

Similar function to a VFD for ac motors then. With only two wires with alligator clips should I assume it hooks up in parallel with the battery. I was a Mech. Eng. major in college over 60 years ago and still never have figured out what magic goes on inside the "black box" but never felt bad about it because the EEs never understood thermodynamics either.

sam am I

Commander
PWM.........fixed freq, variable pulse width, so yes, sorta

Click image for larger version  Name:	pulse-width-modulation-explained-2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	19.8 KB ID:	10909267

Wired in parallel but, logically In series order I'd say, Maximizer between Batt and TM, all perspective I reckon, however.........Looks like Alligator clips to battery, TM to Wing nuts and It should fire up.

+ --------------- + / + ------------- +
Battery......Maximizer.............TM
_ --------------- _ / _ ------------- _

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
A "Maximizer is a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) circuit that pulses the signal between the battery and trolling motor. But rather then trying to explain how it works, let me just say what it does. It basically controls the amount of current your trolling motor sees. In other words, it varies the speed of the motor so you can go any speed you like from zero to wide open and everything in between. And by doing that, it also allows you a little more battery life. If you really want to know how it does that, just ask...