No power to fuel pump

Tony w

Recruit
I have a Volvo Penta 5.7 GXI-f the engine seized, I put a new block in then I had to put in the water pump in ( my mechanic did all this by the way). On the sea trial it ran sputtered a little bit, mechanic said it was probably air in the system, and then the next time I took it out it was running fine I was bombing along and the boat just stopped.
Therethere is no electricity going to the fuel pump I've checked all the fuses I've replaced the electrical engine center if that's what it's called.I just can't figure it out I don't know what could possibly be stopping the electricity to the fuel pump It just won't run no matter what I do It's a brand new fuel pump and like I said it was working fine until this interruption occurred.
HELP!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
being GXI, you have two pumps. low pressure and high pressure.

the schematic is in the manual. also troubleshooting in the EFI manual. http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

pump should get voltage during cranking and then from alternator.

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

mechanic said it was probably air in the system

For this to happen more then just first start up I would question the mechanic

There is no electricity going to the fuel pump

The ECM (Engine Control Module) applies a ground to one side of the fuel pump relay. When relay closes, power is transferred to the fuel pump.
Place a volt meter on the Black/Yellow wire on FP relay.
Turn key ON (do not start) and should see zero volts for 2 seconds and then 12V. If you see 12V full time then the ECM is not applying a ground

gxi fuse.jpg