Fuse keeps popping every time I turn the key to start

ChromeDomeAz

Recruit
Hello all!

This is my first post so I apologize in advance if this is the incorrect place to post this. It was a toss up between here and the "electronics" section.

Any who, I was having some issues with my fuse popping every time I turned the key to the start position and I had read a few threads on here about the issue and the issue I had was not one that was talked about so I thought I'd share and hopefully help some other poor soul out as well.

So, I have a 1990 Chaparral 3.0l Mercruiser and, again, every time I turned the key to the start position I was popping fuses. So here's what was wrong with mine:

Directly on top of my motor there were a bundle of about 6 or so wires (if I remember correctly). Two or three white wires, one purple, and two black wires. The two black wires and the purple wire had worn rubbing against the motor over time and were shorting out and causing my fuse to pop. So, repaired all three and she runs like a top again. Hopefully that saves people some time although I'm assuming that with short issues like these they could probably happen just about anywhere. Happy hunting folks and thank you for having me in your community of fellow boaters.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
You need to google a wiring diagram for your motor,
it will make life easier,

A wild guess re your problem,
either a short somewhere or you've put a wire back on the wrong terminal etc etc

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
i d like to say :welcome: to this forum and glad you found your problem but most of all you thought enough about everyone to share the fix thank you :joyous:

ChromeDomeAz

Recruit
i d like to say :welcome: to this forum and glad you found your problem but most of all you thought enough about everyone to share the fix thank you :joyous:

Thank you for having me!!! I will help whenever I can. Also, when posting this originally it kept saying that it wouldn't post for some reason so I think I may have posted it multiple times. My bad