Voltage gauge not working

08Chap180

Cadet
I just bought a 2008 Chaparral 180 SSI. The voltage gauge on the dash shows no voltage. The gauge lighting is working though. I have 3 wires, Purple (switched power), Blue (gauge lights), and yellow (ground). With the key on I have 12 volts at the purple wire, 8 volts on the blue wire (lights work fine), and the ground wire is good. I bought a new gauge because I figured if I have voltage it must be the gauge but the new gauge does the same thing. Is there anything else I can check on this system? I figured it would be an easy fix but doesn’t seem that way now.

alldodge

Staff member
The voltage gauge is the same as your voltmeter except it only has one function. If your meter can read voltage off the wires so will your gauge.

Are you using the same points to read voltage on your meter that the gauge is using?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
12.0 volts is a dead battery. You should be reading closer to 12.7 volts with a fully charged battery.

The fact that your getting 8 volts on the blue wire tells me you have a ground or wiring issue.

Connect the old gauge directly to the battery terminals as a test.

08Chap180

Cadet
Thanks for the replies. I am putting the probes for my meter on the end of the plug where it plugs into the gauge. I am using the ground pin in the gauge plug so I make sure all the connections work like they should. I am actually getting 12.8 volts at the plug on the purple wire. Just was saying 12volts in general. The 8 volts is after the dimmer switch in the dash, with the dimmer switch all the way down I see about 1.5 volts. I have 12+ volts every where else I check so it seems like the dash lighting runs off of 8 volts or so. I have no trouble cranking the motor and we ran the boat yesterday and had no charging or starting issues. Everything works like it should on the boat except for the voltage gauge.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The 8 volts is after the dimmer switch in the dash, with the dimmer switch all the way down I see about 1.5 volts. I have 12+ volts every where else I check so it seems like the dash lighting runs off of 8 volts or so.
Something wrong here.

The dimmer switch should adjust from 0 to 12.8 volts. Pull the wire off the dimmer. Check function for breaks in continuity while rotating switch. Check 0 to full range ohms. Switches typically have the rated range noted on the case

08Chap180

Cadet
I connected the both volt gauges (the new one and the old one) straight to a battery and I couldn’t get any reading on either. I was able to get the back lighting to come on though. Just like when it’s plugged in. I’m going to see if I can call Faria and see if there’s anything I’m missing on the gauge. Haven’t looked into the 8 volt thing after the dimmer switch.