Bildge pump wiring Bayliner 245

sk7499

Seaman Apprentice
It appears I have an aft bilge wiring issue. I took off the wires off the bilge pump now I cant figure out how to connect it.

Bilge pump has two wires labeled brown/red positive and black ground. There are three more wires from the bilge pump i assume this is the float switch two brown wires and one black wire.

On the boat side I have
Two yellow wires
Two brown wires that are spliced together , one brown/red and one brown wire... I cant figure out the connection. I keep looking at the 245 2003 bayliner manual and it doesnt make sence.anyone can help. Its Johnson bilge pump.here

alldodge

Staff member
More then likely its wired this way, and disregard the alarm if you don't have one

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bilge pump auto.jpg Views:	3 Size:	56.3 KB ID:	10868692

It could be this way but doubtful

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bilge pump.gif Views:	2 Size:	3.5 KB ID:	10868693

sk7499

Seaman Apprentice
Im tring to match up the colors as it worked before i steped on it and the wires got dislogged now i cant figure it out. I have the wire diagram and picture of wires i just cant figure it out

Attachments

• photo330561.jpg
    photo330561.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Brown from 10 amp fuse to switch

Brown other side of switch to bilge pump and float (splice)

Brown/Red other side of float to 7 amp fuse (close to float or battery, should be in line fuse)

Yellow other side of Bilge pump goes to ground

sk7499

Seaman Apprentice
sorry im still having issues matching this up

Boat side
Yellow
Yellow
Brown(2 wires Spliced together)
Brown Red

Pump side
Brown Red= Labeled +voltage
Black= Labeled - Voltage

Float switch
BrowN wire
Black Wire
Brown Wire

The way it worked before is i can control the pump via a switch at my helm. Also the Float switch would activate the pump. Any chance u can help me color code this back.. Ive been at this for 2 days and i hope i didnt make it worse.

sk7499

Seaman Apprentice
Pic of wiring in boat...

Attachments

• photo330567.jpg
    photo330567.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

sk7499

Seaman Apprentice
the wires are so tightly packed toegtehre i cant see where they all go i can only see it at the connection thats why im having issues.

alldodge

Staff member
Would be easiest if you had a voltmeter but lets try, worst that could happen is we pop a couple fuses :D

Pic in post 6 on the bottom I see 2 yellow, 1 black and what is the other wire color?

sk7499

Seaman Apprentice
These are the colors

Boat side
Yellow
Yellow
Brown(2 wires Spliced together)
Brown Red

Pump side
Brown Red= Labeled +voltage
Black= Labeled - Voltage

Float switch
BrowN wire
Black Wire
Brown Wire

alldodge

Staff member
I'm looking at a pic and don't know which side is which. I'm going to assume that the wires with the marker on them comes from the pump and float side

Bilge.jpg

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
The float switch is just a switch, so one side of the switch has 2 brown wires and the other side has the black wire. It makes no difference which side goes where. The Brown/Red (boat side) can go to either a Brown or Black wire, so long as the Brown from the (2 spliced) goes to the other