Why is garmin FF battery wires so small gauge, break at terminals easy

charly1954

Seaman
I use 2 small 12v sealed batteries(vexilar flasher type) for my 2 garmin Fish finders. I take both FF and bats out so I connect them evertime I go fishing. I've had to fix the terminals a few times. The wires are so small(20g or smaller) they fray and break at the f1 terminal. Thinking of connecting some 14 or 16g to them so the terminal connection won't be as weak, will this effect the FF

charly1954

Seaman
tks, I figured that but wanted others opinion.

Still wondering why garmin wouldn't put a little higher gauge wire on their FF, maybe I'll call and ask them. Allot of people remove their FF after ever fishing outing and after a while the flimsy wires will fray and break off the terminal. Next time mine break I'm adding stiffer wire.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
tks, I figured that but wanted others opinion.

Still wondering why garmin wouldn't put a little higher gauge wire on their FF, maybe I'll call and ask them. Allot of people remove their FF after ever fishing outing and after a while the flimsy wires will fray and break off the terminal. Next time mine break I'm adding stiffer wire.
Just guessing since you don’t state what unit your talking about.....figured people would remove the power cord at the connector on the back of the unit. Not disconnect the power from the battery each time

charly1954

Seaman
I don't have them hooked up to my 2 marine TM batteries. I use 2 small 12v vexliar sealed type batteries that use a small adapter charger so I take them in the house to charge, that's why I have to pull the terminals everytime. I have a Garmin Echo 551v and Striker Plus 4cv.

Tucker99

Seaman Apprentice
I also have the same issue. When connecting 20ga to 14 or 16ga you have to solder the connections correct? A crimp won't hold it.

sam am I

Commander
So many options however perhaps one is a guy could put on some quick connects? Leave the slip on spades hooked (or solder the things on even) on your removable sealed batt's terminals but, have a foot or so of wire from those that lead to some quick connects?........The same mating type connector with proper polarity could exist at your charger.....Dis-connect in boat then re-connect to charger would be a snap, lather rinse repeat!

Click image for larger version  Name:	trailer_connectors-0003-2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	47.9 KB ID:	10867780

Attachments

• trailer_connectors-0003-2.jpg
    trailer_connectors-0003-2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Alumarine

Captain
I also have the same issue. When connecting 20ga to 14 or 16ga you have to solder the connections correct? A crimp won't hold it.

Strip the smaller wire about 3/4" long, fold it in half and twist it to use it with a bigger crimp connector.
Or, twist the small wire with the big wire and just use one end of the butt connector.

charly1954

Seaman
Strip the smaller wire about 3/4" long, fold it in half and twist it to use it with a bigger crimp connector.
Or, twist the small wire with the big wire and just use one end of the butt connector.

tks for the input Sam & Marc

That's what I said earlier, if it breaks again I'll just add bigger gauge.
----------------------------------

Sam, quick connects is good idea but still would have the same flimsy wire Garmin provides and eventually would break from being disconnect each time like when attached to F1 terminals. The only way around it would be add bigger gauge then attach the quick connect to that wire.
Can't add photo thru this site still get the "unknown error" message so I added a link of it from my photoweb page.

414430455.jpg

They only give 3" of wire between fuse and terminal so not much wire to work with. And being its only 3" of wire with each breakoff the wire gets shorter, pretty soon I'll run out of wire so adding bigger wire is probably the best bet. I did put shrink tube on the terminal that should help support the connection.

Last edited:

charly1954

Seaman
I've read allot of post not to use the same battery for fishfinders as the trolling motor, would get some interference or cause false reading. That's why I use the small vexilar type bats for my FF.

I ask because I had thought about hooking the FF wire permantly to my trolling batteries which would solve the plug/unplug each time I went fishing. But my trolling bats are up front and would have to run 12-14ft of wire to reach them.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I've read allot of post not to use the same battery for fishfinders as the trolling motor, would get some interference or cause false reading. That's why I use the small vexilar type bats for my FF..
Have you tried using the TM batteries to see how it works?

I have yet to run into a 12 VDC issue that couldn’t be resolved one way it another.

Most are faulting ground connections, improper shield terminations or poorly/cheaply designed trolling motors causing the problem.