2 wire tilt trim motor wired to previous 3 wire tilt / trim wires?

Tanderson4

Recruit
Hey everyone, this is my first post and am a new to boat wiring. I would appreciate any help if possible. I have a 1986 bayliner trophy with a force 125 outboard. I am replacing the old tilt trim motor with a new DB electrical one. The old wires and single relay from the previous motor (3 wires) are still connected to the tilt trim switch on my panel. Can I somehow use the existing wires to connect the new motor which is only 2 wires? Or would it be best to run all new wires and relays from the switch to the motor?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,....... Did you ask DB what they recommend,..??

I'm guessin' you'll need a polarity reversing solenoid to make it work,.....
You'll probably be able to use the original forward wirin', 'n switch, with the proper solenoid at the transom,.....

Tanderson4

Recruit
Thank you! I will be calling DB tomorrow. The worst part about it is that I already removed the old burnt out motor and mounted and reconnected the hydraulic lines for the new 2 wire motor. It was a huge huge pain in the neck to get those bolts on and off! Was hoping to not have to do it again but deep down know the better option would be to buy the 3 wire motor.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Kits to convert PTT from the older 2 wire motors to the newer 2 wire motors are available. Generally you remove all the current solenoids and install relays in their place. They should be avail, where you bought the PTT motor.

Relays provide ground to the motor when not energized. When they are energized, they provide +12VDC to the motor. For example, when the PTT switch is set to tilt up, the "up" relay is energized and the "down" relay is not. This completes the circuit causing the motor to run in the "up" direction.

Tanderson4

Recruit
Does anyone see any potential problem with this 3 wire motor for the above mentioned boat/ motor. The mounting bracket is correct.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You already have the 2 wire motor, right?

Relays are 20 - $25 each. I would expect a exact fit conversion kit with a wiring harness and relays to be cheaper than another new motor.