Motorguide bracket replacement?

TxCasey

Recruit
Howdy folks, first post here. I learned about this forum from a customer service rep, so hopefully someone might be able to help. I have an Xpress aluminum welded boat (year 2000) I inherited from my grandfather. Boat is in good shape for being 20 years old. It has a motor guide bracket that had been on the front - that was in somewhat rough shape. Doing some research, it seems to be somewhere around a year model 2006 bracket. The area on the front that actually holds the trolling motor shaft, the bracket and door housing is my trouble spot. The door knob "screw/bolt" sheared off and I've tried everything to get the previous one out. Gave up and just ordered the new bracket MAK01105T from a place online - my thinking was to just pull the pins and swap it out, easy peasy. Well, it hasn't been that easy. It looks like 3 pins - two of them holding the bracket on and then one holding the door on. I've managed to remove the retaining pins, so common sense (and studying the diagram) tells me these pins should slide out but I haven't been able to get them to budge. Getting the door pin clip off hasn't happened, it seems very small and difficult to pry off. Anybody ever replaced this bracket and has tips? Thanks!

Attachments

• photo325188.jpg
    photo325188.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo325189.jpg
    photo325189.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo325190.jpg
    photo325190.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 0

TxCasey

Recruit
Replying to my own post, was finally able to knock the pins loose after several rounds of penetrating oil around the bracket/pin junction. They are as easy to remove as they look, were just stuck in there. Used a punch to help knock the pin all the way through once the retaining clips were removed. The door pin was tricky, sort of. Just a very small retaining clip on the bottom side that I used some wire picks to help get underneath it to get it off, then that just knocks out as well (used a punch for this one too). Got the new one on, kind of. The metal of the new bracket is slightly out of tolerance as far as where it is - the little "arm" that rests on the stop pin (not sure what else to call it there on the bottom) is slightly too wide, so the holes don't exactly line up - will take a grinder to that and get it fixed right up.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard, 'n Thank you for the up-date too,......... ;)