Vintage Tach Help

TKAnderson

Cadet
Hello, Just finished restoring a 1969 Merc 650 (65HP) and I would like to install a period Tachometer that I bought. I have the controller with the 3 spade plug up front and found the original plug and cord on eBay. My question is on the tachometer itself since I can not find any instructions, manuals, diagrams etc,. The tach came with the (F) shown tach module (Part # 52552-A2) and one of the questions is of course, is it needed? The tach has some numbers and below there is print that reads "NEG". The problem is it it reads "--NEG--" not indicating to a specific connector pole. So to sum it up, I am asking for help indicating where to connect the (Ign. +) (Batt. -) (Send) (Ground) and if the module is necessary, how is it incorporated.
Specs: Mdl # 650 (65 HP) ~ CYL: 4 ~ S/N 2504639 ~ Yr. 1969 ~ Ignition Thunderbolt. Any help is much appreciated...

Attachments

• photo324844.jpg
    photo324844.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 0

sam am I

Commander
Looks like only if you're going "breaker-less" and you're not, right? I guess they called them a "lightning energizer bunny ignition"
Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.jpg Views:	1 Size:	248.2 KB ID:	10830018

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

TKAnderson

Cadet
Looks like only if you're going "breaker-less" and you're not, right? I guess they called them a "lightning energizer bunny ignition"

Wow, those instructions are exactly what I have been looking for! Would moonwalk barefoot on glass for a copy if that is somewhat possible? Ignition is my weak spot so I don't know what "breaker-less" is. I just know the electrical was replaced using original parts for the make and model. The engine runs as if it were just un-crated new however, and reaches all factory specifications. The module came with the tach and my research has been inconclusive as to it's required use. In any event, I am just trying to connect the tach as was originally (option at the time) meant for proper functionality. The info you have provided is priceless to e and appreciate it dearly. Anything further is appreciated just the same..
Cheers... TK

sam am I

Commander
I just borrowed the images off the web, looks like you should be able to get by with just these images? "Breaker-less" just means its an electronic ig.(thyristor/transistor), type II ans III verses mechanical(points), type I.

Well...according to your S/N, you SHOULD have a "650E" and according to the above(below) destruction manual, you SHOULD need to use the module because you SHOULD have the "lightning energizer ignition". So you are "breaker-less" in-fact.

Click image for larger version  Name:	A9Rjdrq0g_h0hyyu_7cg.jpg Views:	1 Size:	157.4 KB ID:	10830103

There are a few here that know these engines waaaaay more than me that might chime in and verify my assertion/s

Last edited:

sam am I

Commander
Add type IV and V Ig's to the above electronic "breaker-less" list as well. :juggle:

TKAnderson

Cadet
I just borrowed the images off the web, looks like you should be able to get by with just these images? "Breaker-less" just means its an electronic ig.(thyristor/transistor), type II ans III verses mechanical(points), type I.

Well...according to your S/N, you SHOULD have a "650E" and according to the above(below) destruction manual, you SHOULD need to use the module because you SHOULD have the "lightning energizer ignition". So you are "breaker-less" in-fact.

There are a few here that know these engines waaaaay more than me that might chime in and verify my assertion/s

Now I just have to figure that out...:facepalm:...:lol:. If I can just figure out what is SND, IGN & GRD connectors are, I could probably figure it out assuming the module is send-in and out..? Thanks a bunch..!