Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Minn Kota stabilizer mounts prefered

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other Branded stabilizer mounts prefered

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I recently purchased a 1993 Lund Pro V 1775 with a 2007 Minn Kota Power Drive bow mount trolling motor. I have been told by a fishing friend that with the addition of a Min Kota quick change composite bracket, I now need to have a Ram mount head stabilizer. They stated that the head that is currently unsupported and could possibly hit off the side rails of the bow while under power. It Makes sense to me with playing with it (Flexing the Head).

So I was hoping the people here could point what is wrong with my selection of components from Ram Mounts. Here are the parts I have picked.

Main Mount to Side Rail
Ram Track Ball with T-bolt Attachment, Size C (1.5" Ball)
RAP-354U-TRA1

Ram Double Socket Arm, Size C (1.5" Ball)
Aluminum
RAM-201U-B

I am looking at both of these items

Ram Claw, Size C (1.5" Ball), Shaft dia. 0.625-1.5"
RAP-400U

Or

Ram Torque Large Rail Base, Size C (1.5" Ball), Shaft Dia 1.125" to 1.5" (Minn Kota Shaft Dia roughly 1.125" Dia)
RAM-408-112-15U

1) is the Ram Claw any good? Seeing I'm at the limit of the shaft diameter on this, is it going to come un affixed to the trolling motor under rough conditions? I like the ram claw over the fixed ball on the trolling motor, as it hopefully eliminates the possibility that I do something stupid and drop the Ram double socket arm overboard by accident. My thinking is I only have loosen the claw and not the socket, thus nothing is ever loose to fall overboard.

2) Are the Ram Mount system robust enough to stabilize a trolling motor head?

3) Are 1.5" balls over 1" ball over kill?

Also this is an older boat (great shape, couple dents and dings for character) that is still all original. So classic appearance is the theme. Old motors, old boat, old style fresh water fishing (Lake Erie, and Detroit River)(Hand lining, jigging, trolling, back trolling, and down rigging). Most importantly though spending time with my kids fishing.

Any and all comments are appreciated.