Humminbird DI transducer location

Smokey988

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking to add a sternmount Down Imaging humminbird transducer on my four winns h183 and was wondering if anyone had experience in which location would be best. After reading the install instructions it would appear the red dot in the attached picture would be best option.

Any input from the experienced folks here?

Attachments

• photo324271.jpg
    photo324271.jpg
    667.4 KB · Views: 0

harringtondav

Commander
I'd be flattering myself if I claimed to be experienced. This is my only transducer install. But yours looks good to me.

The dealer used silicone to goo down a stern mount transducer in my new boat. ...not per correct method. It didn't work reliably. I called Humminbird and they sent me the bracket and other parts to install it on my transom.

Setting the height will be a bit more challenging than mine since your dead rise appears to be greater. I set the left side flush with the hull at the dead rise, and kept the transducer's bottom surface level.

It works great, except when I catch severe chop bounce. Then occasionally it looses signal. Aggravating, but easy fix. I power down until the signal restores, and off I go.

Transducer location.jpg

Smokey988

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the reply. I have been looking at the stern over and over but have still not gained the nerve to install the transducer.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the reply. I have been looking at the stern over and over but have still not gained the nerve to install the transducer.
Do yourself a favor and install a transducer mounting board first.

Makes adjusts to existing, and the installation of new sensors a breeze.