Help identifying this vintage electric motor

cdau221

Recruit
Can anyone shed some light on this old Montgomery Ward Sea King trolling motor? I thought it was odd that there's no handle and requires the foot pedal to use. It also appears to be "new" and never used. Google search on the model # returns nothing at all.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Why is it odd not to have a tiller? It's a foot controlled TM like even current models with no tiller.

What do you want to know?

cdau221

Recruit
Welcome aboard.

Why is it odd not to have a tiller? It's a foot controlled TM like even current models with no tiller.

What do you want to know?

Ah, right ok. I am very new to boating and just hadn't seen one personally with no tiller. If they're common then ok! Any idea when it's from? I'd like to know how many pounds thrust it is to see if it will work in my little plastic bass boat (only rated to 40lb thrust per the manual). Or even if it's "collectible" and worth selling?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Probably 35LB thrust being 12V. Collectible only if someone needs one for a collection.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Its a transom mount motor, with no tiller, that is a bit odd.

They usually didn't have a # thrust rating back in the 60's.

The one I have from '63 or '64, just has a 4 position switch.
It never did work for shhhhtt. Gram and Gramps used it a handful of times, and then
decided it wasn't worth carrying it to the boat again.
But I keep it in the garage cause .... I don't know why.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I doubt the seals are any good on the motor after the last 50-60 years and I doubt you could find parts for then the prop breaks and the seals fail.

Montgomery Wards paid many manufacturers to private label stuff for them. the gas motors were Gales and the electric trolling motors were Minn-Kotas (at least the ones in the 70's were). the one in the pic looks like its from the 60's

It would make OK wall art, doubt it has any value as a trolling motor.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Most of the early 12 volt trollers provided 25 - 28# of thrust and ate batteries quickly.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Can anyone shed some light on this old Montgomery Ward Sea King trolling motor? I thought it was odd that there's no handle and requires the foot pedal to use. It also appears to be "new" and never used. Google search on the model # returns nothing at all.

Montgomery Ward was long gone before the internet.