Charging System Question

AOTY1994

Recruit
I have an minn kota onboard DC alternator. I am going to switch from a 12 volt trolling motor to a 24 volt trolling motor. Will this alternator charge a 24 volt system and how would I hook it up to two 12 volt batteries in series?

southkogs

Staff member
AOTY1994 - moved you to your own topic instead of the history book you posted in. No harm done, just please take a moment to read our forum rules. Welcome aboard.

alldodge

Staff member
Will this alternator charge a 24 volt system

No, your ALT will only charge 12V

how would I hook it up to two 12 volt batteries in series?

Yes to get 24V the bats would be wired in series

Not knowing what motor you have, I would guess your going to need 3 bats, two for the troll and one for starting. Probably need to just recharge the troll bats at home

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you will need a DC to DC charger to take the 12 volts and charge your 24 volt bank, or get a multi-bank charger to charge each battery separately

sam am I

Commander
I have an minn kota onboard DC alternator

Which one.....MK-1-DC? MK-2-DC? MK-3-DC?

Will this alternator charge a 24 volt system

MK-1-DC? No **BUT, a MK-1-DC allows you to charge a second isolated battery (the trolling batt) for use with your starting battery to make 24V.

MK-2-DC? Yes

MK-3-DC? Yes but, you'll just leave one output dis-connected.

and how would I hook it up to two 12 volt batteries in series?

See installation manual below

https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoo...Alternator.pdf

**Because it's charge isolated (DC-DC, all MK-x-DC are DC-DC ), this allows you to wire the two in series to create a 24V source (pseudo source i call it) for a 24V TM

Last edited: