Tiny Tach.

The Force power

Commander
A while back purchased a tiny tach. (that I've no used yet, other then on my lawnmower lol)
I was wondering is I could solder on an extension so I can mount it at the dash, will the extension throw out the reading?

has anybody tried this?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
How long do you need to extend the red cable from its factory delivered lenght ? Which type of motor is it , 2-4 strokes ? Assume it's a motor/boat combo, right ?If so and for practical purposes will need to secure the tach outside its cowl momentarily, go for a wot run and check achieved max wot rpm on flat calm water cond.

Can extend the pick-up red cable with same wire gauge cable, will need to weld both ends and tape it properly and check if a second wot reading matches the previous first run. The tach should read well without the ground wire installed, at least on the tach installations that have done, none were grounded and the reading was quite same whether grounded or not.

Happy Boating

The Force power

Commander
Sea Rider, thanks for tuning in & the tips
The extension would be about 16' and to be used on a 2-stroke/the Tach has only one wire that gets wrapped arround the #1 cable

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Sea Rider, thanks for tuning in & the tips
The extension would be about 16' and to be used on a 2-stroke/the Tach has only one wire that gets wrapped arround the #1 cable

You are welcome,

Ind Tach Install.JPG

The red wire is the one that must we wrapped aound any of both plugs, whichever routes best with at least 4 full turns around the spark plug wire. After wrapping tight tape with several rounds of electric tape....report if worked.

Happy Boating

sam am I

Commander
Looks like it's coax cable......i.e., the ground (white wire) is soldered to the outer braid of the coax wire under the heat shrink tubing.