HDR 650 Hummingbird depth finder

lachlann1

Recruit
I just received the following depth finder for xmas, I installed it today and it is a transom mounted transducer. Everything went according to plan so far, installed gauge, plugged my transducer together as told, wired my power and ground wired to key switch, Turned the key on , shallow water alarm worked fine, but I do not have a display in my gauge, completely black. is this due that the boat is not in the water or am I missing something here???????????????

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Unplug the transducer cable from the back (unless the transducer and power are on the same cable) and see if you get a No Transducer display.

Also see if you can run in Simulator mode.

Welcome aboard.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Excuse my post. I was thinking fish finder, not depth gauge. :doh:

In either case, the transducer needs to be in the water. Stick the transducer in a bucket of water to see if anything changes.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The transducer does not need to be in the water for the display to work.

Since the water shallow water alarm worked, I’m guessing you have a dead display right out of the box.

lachlann1

Recruit
Thanks guys for the info, took the gauge out and tested it on the lawnmower battery, well gauge lit up, so power issues at the key switch was the problem. I wanted to wire it to the key switch so when I shut it down, there would be no power to the depth finder. Anyways no way would it work of the key. I have 3 terminals on the key switch, ground, live and the other one is for powering up all the gauges when you turn the key on. Soooooo I wired it directly to the battery so now gauge is on all the time, sooooooooo I put in a toggle switch and now ready for the water when the ICE melts up here in Canada. Happy New Year to all. thks