Really Need Help with Tilt Relay Wiring, Pictures Attached

bawdog

Recruit
Going to try and be short and concise as possible to avoid rambling, as I am feeling really defeated. Tilt motor was working half the time, figured relays were sticking/bad, so now trying to replace relay but only getting 2.5V when when activating switch up or down at pin 30 on both relays. This should be 12V correct? Is something wrong with my wiring? I do understand that I need an inline fuse on the 12V wire going to the switch. I do know the motor does work as I can short the pins and get it to move no problem.

I attached the wiring diagram and pins that I used. I know the wiring is really bad/messy right now, I was trying to get it functioning correctly, then clean it up afterwards.

I attached some pictures with some labels, but i do understand if it is really hard to see what is going on so just let me know if I am missing any other information that would need to be included.

https://imgur.com/a/HSbCLRf

Using the same setup below on both relays with different switch/motor wires obviously:

positive to motor: 30
positive battery 12V: 87
negative battery: 87a
negative battery: 85
from switch: 86

positive battery 12V: to switch red wire

I would really appreciate any help.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Where did your relay schematic come from?

Pin out don’t match typical 12v relay

30 is supply (to battery)
87 or 87a is motor depending on normally open verse normally closed operation

85 and 86 are control to switch

The Force power

Commander
phenomenaler-relay-diagram-wiring-12v-pin-elegant-bosch-automotive-relays-with-how-to-change-jeep-cherokee.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Wrong pump. Not fuel pump, but power tilt and trim pump.

What is -12 volts? It's ground, not voltage.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
[h=3]Basic 5 Pin Mini Relay[/h]
5_mini_relay.jpg

• Case size: 1 inch x 1 inch x 1 inch
  • Pin 30: Power into the relay for the accessory device
  • Pin 87: Relay switched power out to the accessory device
  • Pin 87a: Powered hot when relay is at rest. Open when relay is activated
  • Pin 85: Positive hot line to activate the relay coil
  • Pin 86: Ground line to the relay

sam am I

Commander
To be used / intended as an example only!!!

Not that it is super critical esp since this is and we're all just back yard mech'ing here BUT, using "-12V" to depict ground (even if "to be used/for example") could certainly confuse folks.

From the literal standpoint (and technical) the potential different between how you've drawn your stuff, (from -12V to 12V) is and would be a reading of 24V!......This is a totally different thing and would be wrong eh?

It's perfectly acceptable however if you were to use "0V", that is if you'd like to depict a voltage for ground.

The Force power

Commander
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
What is -12 volts? It's ground, not voltage.

Found this in the manual, it would be referred to as 12 volt negative.
I know we all refer to it as ground, but DC voltage system is actually an self containing system = no ground

With AC power we refer to Pos. & Neg. + Ground, however.....Neg. is actually a ground; this happens at the sub transformer station where all Neg. power-wires run (in)to Ground

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This going cause some controversy. Please ignore post #11 and help the OP, who must have fixed his TnT because it's been over a month since he asked and no further response from him.