Need advice on saving frayed wire

vg569

Cadet
IMG_1533.jpeg Hi I have a 1970 60hp Johnson (60ESL 70B) I'm trying to revive. The primary lead wire from the base plate to the Amplifier is frayed badly above the connector. Please see attached photos. This is one of the two wires part of the "Primary Lead Assembly" for this engine. The part doesn't appear to be available. Can anyone suggest a repair? I was thinking of soldering it all together or maybe wrapping another wire around it and solder that? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1533.jpeg
    IMG_1533.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1534.jpeg
    IMG_1534.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1535.jpeg
    IMG_1535.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

The Force power

Commander
Hi I have a 1970 60hp Johnson (60ESL 70B) I'm trying to revive. The primary lead wire from the base plate to the Amplifier is frayed badly above the connector. Please see attached photos. This is one of the two wires part of the "Primary Lead Assembly" for this engine. The part doesn't appear to be available. Can anyone suggest a repair? I was thinking of soldering it all together or maybe wrapping another wire around it and solder that? Thanks

just replace the entire wire, if possible and you really want to re-use the connector; leave a small section of wire on the end of the connector solder that on the new wire & shrink-tube the joint.
or just install a new wire with a new male/female connector OR an new wire straight across to it's destination without a connector.