Chugger boat finally starting construction

matt167

Captain
I have the navigation lights from my grandfathers boat, which will be used on the bow. The anchor light was destroyed when the building fell in on it.

Looks like a socketed 48" light on the top of the cabin is just what I need

matt167

Captain
I was also thinking. how much bilge pump capacity should this boat have? I know one is required on a boat with a cabin and it has to be automatic

matt167

Captain
Little bit of a hicchup. The boat is narrower in the center than it is in the bow and stern by 1/4- 1/2". I'm not 100% sure what I'll do about it but I can fix it or hide it.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
No-one will see it. There is not a square boat on the water. :D It's a lot of tricky eyes versus precision. PB or other stuff will make the compensation just fine.

matt167

Captain
Yeah, I'm going to get the deck area as wide as I can and it will be fine.. The cabin is racked a little as well, but it measures correct side to side, and front to back. With the bubble windshield ontop, doubtful that anyone could pick up on it.. It's not built/ intended to be a masterpiece. I just need it close enough to look ok and float straight in the water,

matt167

Captain
Back at it again after the rush months at work, and then the holidays... Fitted the original dash from my grandfathers boat. It's got a few tears in the vinyl but it's pretty good for being from either 1961 or 1963. I may make it dual helm and steerable from in there as well as outside the cabin, but probably not. Steering/ helm as planned to go behind the cabin wall

Attachments

• photo323891.jpg
    photo323891.jpg
    965 KB · Views: 1

matt167

Captain
I have an idea to fill in the gaps around the front of the dash with coroplast covered with foam and some white vinyl, using velcro to hold it in place. It won't be perfect but it will look ok as a filler

chevymaher

Commander
Looking good.

On the bilge pump don't matter what is required. Get a monster. Mine has a 1800 I am sure they put that in because it was taking on water through the transom. If you take on water the faster you get it out the better. They are cheap live it up.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
What is the ceiling height in the house?

6967648637_c531e658d5.jpg

matt167

Captain
4 feet high. I think the Bonne Chance ( that boat ) is a little higher than that. He enlarged it beyond what I did

matt167

Captain
Outfitting 60"x just under 8' cuddy cabin

I'm starting to think up plans with my Chugger boat ( my build is here somewhere. got summer stalled ). The boat is exactly 16' and the cabin is a few inches under 8' including the bow.. Wondering what all I could do with 8'. The roof is 4' off the bottom, and the deck will be 2.5" higher than the bottom due to deck/ stringers. Lewis designed this boat so anyone could build/ expand it.

I have fiberglass bowrider seat platforms that I could salvage from my parts boat ( 2000 Smokercraft 196 Allante ). The smokercraft is junk. But the platforms are about 8'. But that would basically make the boat just have a bed in the cabin..

Would 8' allow for a sink or some cupboards?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
too small.
Ask the moderators to hook you up with your thread,

Last edited:

matt167

Captain
thanks to the mod who moved it. I could not find my thread..

I'm thinking that I should do something similar to the Starcraft Islander, which is cushions/ storage boxes on the sides, and a support for the middle cushion. Pretty sure a table could go in the center.

matt167

Captain
Been building a bigger garage, so no Chugger progress or any boating at all minus a couple trips with an inflatable.

However I was at Home Depot yesterday and noticed that they are now carrying BCX. Prices are crazy due to covid.. The sheets of 1/2" CDX that I have for it were carefully picked Douglas Fir and I deemed it pretty nice stuff.. BUT the BCX is almost void free and I'm thinking I should have it for the bottom which still is not on. It's costly though at about $45/ sheet and I would need 6 sheets for the bottom. I think I paid $25/ sheet for the CDX and the going rate on the CDX is $34/ sheet

Anyone think I need to go back and spend ~$300 on BCX? Garage is finished now, just waiting on the doors to come, so work on the Chugger will continue soon enough

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I’m not sure I would go back and spend that money if it were mine. Ultimately your decision. Properly encapsulated, I don’t see an issue with CDX.

matt167

Captain
I'm up in the air if I want to use epoxy or polyester and gelcoat. I don't want the wooden boat look so I want it fully encapsulated. That could add a ton of cost to the boat if I use epoxy

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Polyester resins work better with gelcoat than epoxy. If you use epoxy, it would be better to do a paint system.

Guys on this forum have used various paint systems with great success. Either way you go, there’s plenty of resources here to help.