Fuel guage or sending unit

crestlinermusky

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just recently purchased a Sea Nymph GLS195 with a 90 hp Evinrude
The boat has a 25 gallon tank in the floor, when I got the boat it read 1\4 tank
I put ten gallons in it and it read 3\4 of a tank. I have been out three times and tonite as I watched the
guage get close to 1/4 tank the motor started to cut out and die at full speed. The motor startd again and
I could idle back but when the boat went to plane again the motor started to cut out.
Now because from the start I did not trust the guage I had a portable 5 gallons with me and that got us home
so I know it is not the engine.
My question is where do I start looking , the guage or the sending unit, and what do I need to do

alldodge

Staff member
Its either the gauge or the sender, my guess is its the sender with running out at 1/4 tank.

The send should be accessible either directly visual or under something removable. There are at least 2 wires on the sender, ground and sense lead. With ignition ON jump across the sense and ground wires and the gauge should per full.

If that works, remove the sender, and place something over the whole. Reconnect the wires to the sender and turn ignition ON, then slowly move the sender up/down and watch the gauge