Audio in cockpit

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Aye guys,... Im in the process of upgrading the sound system in my boat,...over the years Ive found very little need for alot of sound in the cabin,.. at 58 yrs old when Im in the cabin its a low key event...lol.. But I do appreciate some decent sound in cockpit area. So here are (3) possible scenerios and Id welcome your opinions. My HU is a Kenwood 528BT 1din,..4 channel rated at 22 watts per channel. My amp is a Kenwood KAC-3004 600 watt,..rated at 50 watts X 4 channel at 4 ohm, or 75 watts X 4 channel at 2 ohm, or bridged 150 watts X 2. ( Im a big Kenwood fan and have been for many years,..Ive seen actual dyno test on this amp and others, these series Kenwood amps actually deliver what they claim and in many cases a few watts over their claimed output) So with all that said here are my (3) possible setups

1) Bridge 4 channels from the amp to (2) and pump 150 watts each to my (2) Infinity Kappa 6X9's in the cockpit (they handle 330 watts ea),... then use the remaining non-amped (2) channels coming from the HU to run (2) mediocre 6" kenwoods at 22 watts each for the cabin.

2) Run all 4 channels seperatly (50 watts ea) to (4) speakers in the cockpit area (2 - Kappa's and 2 - 6" Kenwoods) no speakers in cabin.

3) Run (2) channels to Kappa's 6X9's at 50 watts ea, bridge remaining (2)channels to a sub under the captains helm...no speaker in cabin.

My past experience with Kappa's tells me that option number 1 will likely yield the best sound in the cockpit area without the thump of the sub.... option 2 will "fill" the cockpit better but with less quality,...and option 3 will deliver the that deck thumping sound that some ppl must have ! ..LOL

You opinions welcome.

Tycer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
#1 That’s plenty of power for the applications.
If you want to add a sub, get a dedicated mono amp with no crossover and use the HU to set it up.
And... I f you’re gonna spring for an amp and sub ya might as well get a new KENWOOD HU that uses a phone app for settings, volume and audio apps.