Accurately set dwell. Which meter?

Tycer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Which dwell tach to buy?

My old dwell tach works but the 8cyl scale starts at 15°.
Since most of these use a double-the-8cyl-reading for four cylinders and I want to set my dwell at 28 I want to get one with a wider scale.
Bought one on auction site but it has a bad SET pot or something.

Suggestions?

Tycer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My old dwell tach works but the 8cyl scale starts at 15°.
Since most of these use a double-the-8cyl-reading for four cylinders and I want to set my dwell at 28 I want to get one with a wider scale.
Bought one on auction site but it has a bad SET pot or something.

Suggestions?

mods: Due to zero views in 24 hrs in the electrical subsection I have reposted here.

ajent

Cadet
Dwell meters have gone the way of the dinosaur. They aren't necessary either, set point gap and never look back

If you are absolutely determined, find a g2s tool dealer (Napa, snap on tool truck, etc) and get an ES branded meter. Some of their models still have dwell and built in tach pick up. Fluke dropped those functions fifteen years ago

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I bought an Innova digital timin' light a few years back, 'n it has a dwell function built in,.....

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Dwell meters have gone the way of the dinosaur. They aren't necessary either, set point gap and never look back...

I think you have this the wrong way around. Setting the gap with feeler gauges is just the way to get in the ball-park to use a dwell meter to set the points with a greater degree of accuracy... I was using dwell meters in the 70's to get longer life and better spark out of the points. (then I discovered electronic ignition and MPI. :D THAT is when I never looked back)

OP. Get an advance timing light, which has a built-in digital tacho and dwell meter. As well as a voltmeter.

Chris........

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you file the points, you can get by without a dwell meter.

if you dont file the points, you need a dwell meter

plenty of used ones on CL and Fleabay.

Tycer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks all.
My experience mirrors Chris’.
Gapping points works great if everything is top top. A four banger gives even more allowance. However, tolerance errors add up in a dizzy and using dwell angle to choose point gap will allow one to compensate for less than perfect conditions. An accurate meter can also help isolate issues in the ignition. I have not worked over a four banger since the early 80s when I built my first rice rocket out of an an A14 in a ‘76 B210. Also, clipping a meter on beats pulling the cap and tapping the starter any day.

Tycer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Went with the Innova brand combo timing light, dwell meter, tach, volts. Working well.