91 Mercruiser 7.4l Bravo One Tripping Circuit Breaker

alldodge

Staff member
Its not unheard of, but sometimes a breaker can go bad. To verify take a 20 amp fuse and connect in place of the breaker. The breaker needs to be tripped if it is left in the circuit

mstrianse

Cadet
Hooked up 20amp fuse, boat ran the longest it has, tach worked then cut out but came back if I rev the boat. Fuse housing started to melt and leads were getting hot so I turned off boat. The fuse never tripped but I'm assusming it woud had I let it run longer

Attachments

• Fuse.jpg
    Fuse.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Sorry, not sure why font went small again.

I'm seeing at the beginning of your statement
Hooked up 20

Left justification, changed color, font and size

The thing is melting and the fuse didn't blow?
The breaker was tripped (as in not making a connection)?

mstrianse

Cadet
Correct, melting but not tripping. I disconnected the leads from the breaker in the boat.

alldodge

Staff member
I'm scratching my head real hard right now

Your breaker is 20amp?

mstrianse

Cadet
It doesn't say going to try and measure current with my meter. Breaker is E-T-A series 165 .

alldodge

Staff member
Most hand held volt meters cannot take more then 10 amps

mstrianse

Cadet
My meter can handle 20amps. Started engine and it was at 17 to 18 amps and began to creep up, turned boat off at 19.8 amps so not to fry my meter .

alldodge

Staff member
Look much closer at the alternator, there has to be more then 2 wires. If there is only 2 wires (someone replaced ALT with a one wire type), then find the wires that use to be connected to make sure they are not damaged

alldodge

Staff member
I think this is the Ah Ha moment
Someone cut the Red/Purple (Main power from Battery) and is using the smaller Purple wire to power everything on the motor. The Red/Purple should go to the 50 amp breaker, from there thru the engine connector to the key switch

By cutting the Red/Purple everything is back feeding in both directions and everything is going thru the key switch

wires.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
With the Red/Purple connected to Purple, there is no way to turn the key OFF and stop the motor or stop power going to the choke coil. So the "DA" cut the connection (which should not have been there to begin with) and now everything goes thru the key switch

mstrianse

Cadet
The two colors that you are unsure of are orange on the left and brown on the right. The wire in the blue clip is not a red/purple. It is a red wire that runs down to the oil pressure sensor and then another red wire runs off the other tab. The main red/purple is there in the middle of the wire bundle. There is also a red/purple at the breaker.

Attachments

• breaker.jpg
    breaker.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
The two colors that you are unsure of are orange on the left and brown on the right. The wire in the blue clip is not a red/purple. It is a red wire that runs down to the oil pressure sensor and then another red wire runs off the other tab. The main red/purple is there in the middle of the wire bundle. There is also a red/purple at the breaker.

I'm about to give up
The Red runs down to the oil pressure sensor :facepalm: I don't know what to say

I think you either need one of these
https://www.cpperformance.com/p-13230-custom-mercruiser-style-engine-harness.aspx

Or you need a new harness
https://www.mercruiserparts.com/96020a6-engine-harness

Only other thing is to take the harness apart and splice in the correct wiring

mstrianse

Cadet
Thanks for all of your time and help. I'm going to try and get the wiring correct and go from there. I will keep you posted.

mstrianse

Cadet
I checked all of the wires under the dash and tested resistance and current. I verified that the issue is back by the engine. I started to check resistance and current at the wires that were taken off the factory wiring harness. One red wire went to the oil pressure switch and then out to electric fuel pump which was an add on. The measured current on the fuel pump was 12.87 amps. My next step was to remove the fuel pump from the ignition circuit and temporary wire it on it's own circuit. This resulted in the engine running smoothly and the ignition fuse not tripping. I put a 20 amp fuse on the fuel pump circuit and the wires got hot and started to melt the plastic housing on the fuse. From what I have read the pump should draw around 3 to 6 amps. Looks like the pump is defective.

mstrianse

Cadet
Going to change water separator and check fuel line to see if that helps before replacing the pump.