Oil pressure gauge shows no oil pressure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pressure gauge shows no oil pressure

My 2002 chaparral 196 SSI with 5.0 Mercruiser is not reading proper oil pressure I have changed out the sender today and still get same results, when the key is off it’s reads 0 when I turn the boat on (boat not running) the gauge shows maxed out oil pressure and once the boat running it shows no oil pressure again. If any one has had this issue or knows why it’s doing this any help is appreciated. Thanks

first welcome aboard

then use a mechanical gauge and determine if you have oil pressure or not

then test your gauge system. your gauge sender should have a variable resistance to ground. reading at zero will be 240 ohms. reading at half gauge will be 103 ohms, and reading at full gauge will be 33 ohms

you could have oil pressure issues, or you could simply have a faulty sender, wire, or gauge.
    Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Thanks Scott for the reply, also forgot to mention the boat runs perfect I’m as certain as I can be without having a gauge that the oil pressure is fine, just want the gauge working for when something does happen. Ima look in to what you said never have been good with multimeters, guess it’s time to learn

Comment

Look on the port side, nest to the oil pan and at the rear of the motor. There will probably be 2 senders there Tee'd together. The small one is the oil pressure switch and the larger one os the sender and has light Blue wire attached. Remove the wire and with Key ON ground the wire to the block. Doing this should peg the meter high
        94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
        95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
        07 Seadoo GTX
        Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
        G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

Working...
        X