IGN key doesn’t work

jumpjets

Petty Officer 1st Class
I need a little help. My ignition key doesn’t work anyone. My batteries are both fully charged. The blower, bilge pump, and trim all work well. When I turn the ignition key however, it’s completely dead. The gauges don’t come alive, and nothing is energized. Obviously the engine won’t start either.

The boat oat is a 2007 Rinker Captiva with a merc 6.2L and bravo 3 drive. It’s been 100% reliable for years. It just sat covered in my driveway for 5 weeks.

alldodge

Staff member
Its either the 20 amp ignition fuse, or the kill switch. The fuse/breaker comes off the red/purpple wire on the key switch, and kill switch breaks the purple wire

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
use a digital meter and start diagnosing.

jumpjets

Petty Officer 1st Class
Huge help so far. The red & purple wire is getting zero bolts at the key ignition switch. The IGN circuit breaker is in, and it’s getting zero volts there too.

Where does the red & purple wire go in the engine bay? That must be where the disconnect is.

jumpjets

Petty Officer 1st Class
Again, Muchas Gracias to Alldodge & Scott Danforth.

I traced the un-powered red & purple wire to a 50A circuit breaker in the engine bay, mounted on top of the engine itself, behind the air cleaner. That circuit breaker had a solid red wire going into it, and a red/purple exiting it. It apparently converted raw unprotected power into protected power leading to the helm.

That circuit breaker was a little corroded and no longer holding itself closed. I cleaned it up and now everything works! Unfortunatley, I took apart half the interior chasing that wire.

alldodge

Staff member
Been in the water floating and cooling off

The solid red comes from the starter post and thru the 90 amp fuse. Since you have no power on the red or red/purple, then the 90 amp fuse blew. In most cases when it blows, a battery cable was put on wrong, there was a short somehow, or most probable is the alternator shorted out

90 amp fuse.jpgStarter connect.jpg