Starter problem

outdoor guy

Recruit
Greetings forum members. I have a 1993 20hp Johnson outboard which normally starts fine but over the course of a day on the water, the starter drive gear willl not spin up and engage the fly wheel several times. I have to tap the starter housing with a tool, then it it will start. I have replaced the solonoid and checked all my connections. Also my battery is new this year and cranks the engine strong when starter works normally. Any suggestions would be great. Thank You Outdoor Guy

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
clean all your battery cable connections. including the mating surface of the starter to the block.

all the cable connections need to be cleaned with scotchbrite or sand paper until they are shiny and clean enough your mother would eat off them.

once cleaned and tightened, then seal with marine electrical varnish.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
When you turn the key, does the starter motor spin but the bendix doesn't rise, or did you mean the starter motor doesn't spin until you tap it? The bendix needs to ride up the grooved starter motor shaft freely. If that groove is full of gunk that free movement cannot occur. Clean the grooves and shaft and use only a very light spritz of lubricant. If this doesn't work and cables are clean and tight, then it may be time for a starter.

outdoor guy

Recruit
The starter motor always spins Sounds like it might be one of the problems you described Thank You Scott and Silvertip

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Starters need a fully charged battery so the starting inertia forces the bendix up the shaft. A weak battery or binding/weak starter cannot make the bendix rise up the shaft.