Garmin 1242 touch odd behaviour

jetmart

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2019 Heritage 241 with a garmin 1242 touch and a Yamaha 250 on it with engine gauges on the Garmin 1242. I finally figured out how to do a combo screen with engine gauges on the left and nav screen on the right. Worked great for a week but now the round engine gauges that I set up are turning into bar graphs every time I turn it on. It is a real PIA. I must redo the setup each time. Any ideas?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Do you “save” the preset once you set it up? I have a couple different configurations on my “Home” screen

jetmart

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes I do. Also add to favourites. Furthermore it has been there for a week at a time through many start ups and stops.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Are you up to date with the software?
You should be running version 15.10.

Of note, version 15.10 (released 6/30/19) added support for a Yamaha NMEA 2000 gateway.

You either got lucky with the old version of software with an “unsupported” interface or there is a bug in the updated version.

Then again, it could be something on the Yamaha side as well.

jetmart

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm up to date. Also did not set up the combo screen until after the update and it worked fine for a week or so.
Can you tell me what this means Of note, version 15.10 (released 6/30/19) added support for a Yamaha NMEA 2000 gateway in practical terms for me?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I'm up to date. Also did not set up the combo screen until after the update and it worked fine for a week or so.
Can you tell me what this means Of note, version 15.10 (released 6/30/19) added support for a Yamaha NMEA 2000 gateway in practical terms for me?
While there is a standardized content and structure of message sent between different components on a NMEA 2000 link, manufactures typically use proprietary content and message structures internally.

The Yamaha gateway is a translator. Converting the internal message content and structure to NMEA 2000 standards.

Without detailed tech info related to the gateway you can’t say for sure, but I’m guessing there is a problem or delay in converting the data used to populate the displays.

Are the bar graphs the default configuration by chance?

jetmart

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes I believe the bar graphs are the default ones. What is interesting today I was able to set up the combo screen back to the round gauges like I had it a few days. A few days ago that option did not show up in the menu. They did today.

jetmart

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have a bit more info. It seems the layout stays the same when I turn on the plotter. It changes the layout to the bar graphs as soon as I turn on the ignition key to the engine. Do most turn on the plotter after starting?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Have a bit more info. It seems the layout stays the same when I turn on the plotter. It changes the layout to the bar graphs as soon as I turn on the ignition key to the engine. Do most turn on the plotter after starting?
Sounds like Yamaha is over writing the Garmin configuration file on startup.

Obviously a conflict in prioritization between the two units. Could be a problem on the Yamaha side as well.

Your starting sequence shouldn’t matter unless you have power issues and your dropping out in the process.

Having said that, 99% of the time I start the motor before powering up the network. Not a fan of introducing large power swings into electronic components if I don’t have to

I run separate unit’s for chartplotting and fish finder. The units are networked together with NMEA 2000 fuel management and paddle wheel speed inputs. Never have a problem.

A thought....Garmin recommends powering the network with a dedicated power connection thru an on/off switch to allow functionality of the components with the engines shut down.

Sounds like your network is powered thru the ignition switch. Nothing wrong with that, just need to keep In mind that the plotter doesn’t recognize the input until you turn the key on

When you configure and save the plotter settings, is the ignition on, all sensors up and active?

jetmart

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will try starting prior to turning on the chart plotter next time. Normally I would do this with other boats and airplanes however the only engine gauges are through the yamaha chart plotter program so I was power it up before starting.

jetmart

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Found a work around. Shut off chart plotter before shutting off engine and start engine before turning on chart plotter. It is the ignition on the Yamaha that messes with the Garmin setup/layout