4.3 merceuiser starter grinding?

Merc_man77

Cadet
I have a 1996 4.3 mercruiser. I recently bought the boat and have had it out a few times and each time it started fine(after resolving a choke plate issue) until today when I tried to start it in my driveway in preparation for a trip this weekend. When I'd turned the key I heard what sounded like a godawful grinding sound. I tried again and aging it ground, but seemed to catch one time but didnt turn the motor. Could the motor be hydrolocked? I had it out for about 2 hours of hard driving and it was purring like a kitten when I shut it off at the dock. My voltage meter is in the red but not all the way down and the whole.boat shakes when I try and start it so I think it's getting plenty of power. Or maybe, hopefully the very rough water knocked the starter out of line or something? I reserved a boat slip and campsite for this weekens and Im hoping I can resolve this quickly...fingers crossed! if anybody has ever experienced this and has any tips id appreciate it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Check the starter bolts to make sure they are tight. If the motor was hydrolocked, it would not turn.

Merc_man77

Cadet
Ok so I pulled a plug and was able to manually crank the motor from the crankshaft pully so good news there. I had to stand on my head but I got the starter out and the gear on the starter is pretty worn down the flywheel teeth are rounded out a little bit in a few spots but none are missing and I think its salvageable. I did notice the wear on the starter and flywheel is only maybe a quarter of the way into the teeth. To me it seems like the starter doesn't go out far enough to firmly lock into the teeth on the flywheel. I'm going to try and pick up a new starter tomorrow after work and see if that fixes it.

Merc_man77

Cadet
I'd imagine if it is the flywheel the engine would have to be pulled to replace it? Hopefully that not it because that might be a little over me head