Wiring diagram help

JBtheRad

Recruit
I want to run a 12v system with only my deep cycle battery with switches. Can someone help?

1) I want the battery to have a main power switch so I don't have to unplug every time.
2) 3 Nav lights on another switch
3) fish finder doesn't need a switch
4) bilge pump will need a switch

I'm planning on 14 awg everywhere and would like fuses going to every electronic.

I have an idea of how to do it but I'm sure some of you will cut out some of my steps, help keep things more organized, and would like to make sure I'm choosing correct sizes of fuses and wire.

Thanks so much!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
First of all, an electronics handbook will give you AWG sized for load of circuits.

A couple of guidelines:

Have a master switch for all your non-engine low current electronics...stereo, FF, GPS.

Automatic Bilge pump wired thru a fuse, but direct to battery.

Manual bilge pump wired thru fuse, then switch.

On an outboard, with a single battery, you do not need a battery switch. Use separate wires for auto bilge pump at the battery.

Run an appropriate (14AWG for 15 Amps) wires (ground and Power) from battery to fuse box/strip to power all accessories. Run them thru that master switch, and thru sub switches if necessary. In your application, a single master switch and 14AWG wire is probably all you need.

If you upgrade your accessories, maybe 12AWG (20 Amps) wire to a 6 fuse panel might be necessary.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Generally a good idea to have a battery disconnect switch on any boat.
You never know what could go wrong, like a stuck trim button.

Battery to switch,
Switch to engine, and a 10 ga wire to the helm where you want a small fuse block.
Then run wire from fuse block to switches.
And run a ground wire back to the battery.

JBtheRad

Recruit
I only have a 1981 pull start Johnson. The battery isn't connected to motor at all. Just the electronics

JBtheRad

Recruit
Hopefully someone can read my drawing decent enough and give me a yay or nay and what I should change.

negatives from battery to bus going 8g and from bus to electronics going 16g.

positives from battery to fuse to switch to fuse panel 8g
from fuse panel to switches 16g from switches to electronics 16g

Attachments

• 20190715_083534.jpg
    20190715_083534.jpg
    840.1 KB · Views: 0

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Looks good to me.

Probably just run the neg from the bilge pump, directly back to the battery if the battery is sitting in the back.