Depth Sounder Issue on 2007 Tahoe Q4

Hi All!

I purchased a 2007 Tahoe Q4 last weekend. Boat is immaculate and everything works except the depth finder. It has a Humminbird round depth finder on the dash (no model number) and it seems to work fairly correctly when the boat is stopped, but it goes haywire when in motion.

I was thinking it might be a transducer issue, but I don't even know where the transducer is located, so I can't even do a visual inspection.I looked in the outdrive area and didn't see anything that appeared to be a transducer to me. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Our local lake, Mountain Island is quite shallow in some areas, so I really need to get it corrected as soon as possible. I'll buy a new unit if that's what it takes, but it seems like this could be repaired rather than replaced probably. Thanks in advance!

Alumarine

Captain
If there's nothing on the transom then it probably has a thru hull transducer in the bilge.
I'm sure there's a model number on the head unit somewhere, perhaps on the back of it.
Usually cheaper to replace than repair those unless it's something simple.

Thank you for your reply marc c . I was able to locate the in hull transducer in the bilge. It was firmly held in place with silicone or some other similar type adhesive. It appeared to be in fine condition at least from what I could tell visually. Should I just purchase a new entire unit and replace everything?

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
Is there anything around or in front of the xducer that may cause bubbles while under way? How fast do you have to travel before you get the interference? Can you post a picture of the xducer and the surrounding hull?