Help with trouble shooting electrical problem.

Trwirth

Recruit
Hi all. New to the forum. I launched yesterday for first outing this year. I have had my 1989 Penn Yan 21 Tornament since it was new and its still in pristine shape. It has the 4.3 Merc sterdrive. Yesterday the motor started right up from winter and the tilt/trim worked . All gauges worked as they should. However all accessories as in lights, pumps, blower, wipers, horn ect. are dead. Please help me run this problem down . Thanks in advance.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
How many batteries and switches do you have? Sounds like you may have two of each giving you the capability of switching one battery to start only and the other to run your accessories only. If this is the setup you have one switch isn't switched on for the accessories.

Trwirth

Recruit
Found the problem. There is an orange wire coming off the starter pos lead I believe that has a bayonet fuse holder that feeds the helm accessory circuits. Even though it looked clean and the fuse checked good the holder apparently wasn't as clean as it looked. Its also pretty down approaching the bilge. I purchased a 30 amp water proof surface mount breaker and extended the wire higher on the transom next to the trim pump and all is back working as it should and the fix should be long lasting. Until next time. Tom

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the update, good news. Sounds like a cheap fix.