bilge pump help?!?!?

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
my new(new to me) boat keeps tripping the bilge breaker. heres what its doing. the breaker is 5 amps. it was working. now it stopped. if i reset the breaker it starts up for like a half of a second and it trips again. same thing every time. it pushes water out for that quick second. the guy i bought the boat from had problems and recently replaced the breaker. what should i do first? does it sound like its the breaker. i took the pump out and it spins by hand. should i replace pump? replace breaker? could it be the float switch(separate). its a rule 1100 pump. boat is a 2002 boston whaler 255 conquest. any help would be great. thanks

Was it originally a 5 amp breaker before the previous owner changed it? Have you looked up the recommended amperage for that model of pump? Are the wires for the pump easily accessible to be able to inspect for shorts? Have you tried jumping the pump with 12v to see if it functions properly?
Can you disconnect the pump from the float switch, then trip the float switch to see if it still flips the breaker, if it does that should rule out the pump itself.
Do you have another breaker to change out to see if it remedies the issue?
Multiple things to check and rule out.
Hope something here helps, if you figure it out please be sure to post your findings.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
5 amps is on the edge (3.3 amp power draw) , however your pump may simply be shot..... or the breaker is shot.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Circuit breakers either work or they don’t. The fact that it resets tells you it’s good.

In these types of situation, ninety-five percent of the time the pump has failed. Burnt/grounded winding.

With no water in the bilge, flip the breaker on and raise/prop the float switch to the “on” (up) position.

If the fuse blows, the pump is bad. If it doesn’t you have s wiring issue