help with marine radio!?!?!?

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i just bought a fusion stereo ra70n to replace my old clarion xmd1. while hooking it up i noticed that my boat had a yellow(15 amp fuse) and a red wire(5 amp fuse) and my head unit only had a red. so..... the radio will only work if i connect the boats yellow to my radios red. only problem is that the radio can turn on when the boats battery switch is off. i dont like this and am wondering why the red wire wouldnt work. as i thought the red should work and the yellow wouldnt be necessary as i would only lose my radios memory(presets) without it?

any help would be great . thanks

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
You are correct. You should only need the red to power the radio and the yellow for memory.
I would take a voltage reading at the red and yellow wires to see what is going on. Sounds like something is screwey.

alldodge

Staff member
Looking at the install manual the unit shows 5 wire connections, not counting speakers

Yellow 12V power 15A
Black Ground
Blue Amp ON
Brown Mute
Orange Dim (connect to helm lights so display will dim when lights are turned ON)

The unit will be turned on so long as power is applied to the Yellow wire. The install manual shows adding another switch so it will have to be on to power. This is a normal install

Your old unit, used the 5A lead to power the radio (wake up power), and (guessing) used the 15A lead to power an AMP or main power to amp in radio

Make sure your red 5A wire is large enough for 15A supply or it can be damaged.