Engine won’t cut off

Dewater

Cadet
Have 89 Johnson 150 outboard. ( rehab bass bot) got kill switch installed and motor starts. Kill switch. Works but key won’t turn off motor. Any suggestions to what’s wrong? I’ve read the yellow/red wire goes to started and key. But mine appears to go back to harness. I have second black wire that got to ignition that runs started. Any help would be great!!

alldodge

Staff member
Both the kill switch and the key need there own ground wire. In the pic see that a black wire comes off one of the M terminals to ground, along with the kill switch

Johnson Evinrude wiring.jpg

Dewater

Cadet
Yes I’ve grounded both. Still no change. Starts run. Kill switch will cut off motor. Key won’t turn it off

alldodge

Staff member
Then the key switch must have gone bad. If you look at the bottom left round key connection, it shows the key makes a connection between the 2 M (magneto) terminals. The magneto needs to be grounded to kill the motor and disconnected to run

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Since the kill switch wire and 7 o'clock M connection on the key switch are common, the key switch is bad and not grounding the M connector when switched to off or the wire between ground and the 3 o'clock M is broken.

Using a meter with the key switch off, the kill switch lanyard in place, check for continuity between the 7 o'clock M and the 3 o'clock M on the switch - No continuity means the key switch is bad.

If you have continuity, meter between 3 o'clock M and the ground stud, it's a wire directly to ground so it should be a short or very low OHMs.